EGNOS lock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi All,
Has anyone down loaded the almanac and got EGNOS to lock on a garmin etrex..I have tried a few times leaving the unit still for up to twenty mins..but dont seem to be able to get a lock, even though i have been recieving sats 33 and 39, and have EGNOS enabled
Thanks in advance
stu

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Just before I have a go I checked some web info and the common mistake seems to be to have your GPS in power saving mode - it needs to be be in Normal mode as it draws a lot of extra power when EGNOS/WAAS is activated. Right - off to have a go!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Right, just had a go for about 20 mins and no joy. Did some more reading and the details above about power saving are a red herring for me - there is no power-saving mode on my Vista HCx.

If EGNOS is to work, you need to see one of the three satellites (33, 35, 37 - these should come up on the the satellite tracking page on your unit). However, unlike the continuously moving GPS satellites, they are geostationary and a relatively low elevation angle from the UK and so you need a good view of the horizon to pick them up. I put my unit out in the garden but, as we are surrounded here by houses, it probably can't see the geostationary satellites. I will try again tomorrow when I can go somewhere with a good view of the horizon.

Last edited:

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi Mike,
Thanks for trying..I was beginning to think my etrex was faulty, like you I cannot get a good view of the horizon in the garden, and may have to try again when up on the mountains
regards
stu

negtneg

Dec 29, 2010
Northamptonshire, UK
I've got a GPS60, and I've received WAAS corrections from satellite 37 in the past. Not tried it for a while, and I remember that it was being turned on and off for 'testing'...

HTH

Simon

negtneg

Dec 29, 2010
Northamptonshire, UK
I think you have to have battery saving off and WAAS on - also, Sat 37 is down by the equator and so is only about 20 degree above the horizon and approximately south-ish. First time I did it, I left my GPS on a flat garage roof for about half an hour to download the almanac...

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE