edible wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
this may be a daft question but here goes anyway, are there any types of wood that are edible ? there ive asked it.
I expect a right royal no but in this world you never truely know until you ask the question cheers for any info

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
The inner bark of large white pines (pinus strobus) is thick and edible. The native americans would boil it, I think, and liked it much.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The great OZ says
-Pine cambium layer, take the inner bark of pine, boil it a bit, roast it and pound it into flour.

-Birch cambium, same process as the pine, just boil less than you would the pine.
The cambium is the soft inner bark of trees. With pine you peel of the hard woody outer and the cambium is on the inner wood in a papery sheet. It tastes quite sweet raw.

Jul 1, 2007
Robert Rogers hit on it,

Boiling any of these will result in a starchy meal that resembles pasta. It also helps get rid of the woody residue that was mentioned earlier. In the U.S. we have poplar trees andthe inner bark of it is rather tasty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE