Edible things in my sea.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Shore crabs that are near me grow 9 centimeters max. But I'll go ahead and give it a try anyway. I've made one of these http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13958&p=185607#post185607 and once I've tried it (assuming that I catch something)I'll upload some pictures.:)

I ate a green shore crab for the first time this year, the colour went a pretty bright red when cooked, it had a much stronger flavour than the larger edible crab do. it was worth the fiddling for such a small thing but it was big for its species.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I ate a green shore crab for the first time this year, the colour went a pretty bright red when cooked, it had a much stronger flavour than the larger edible crab do. it was worth the fiddling for such a small thing but it was big for its species.

Was the thing bigger than 9 centimeters?

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Regarding smaller shore crabs the recipe given in Edible Seashore by John Wright in the River Cottage Handbook series for Bisque (soup) makes good sense. You get all the flavour and goodness from the crabs with little fuss or fiddly work. An adaptation of the recipe (using what was available) would make for a nice supper when camping out by the sea. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE