Edible snails

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, supposedly the shells on the garden snail grow 30-40mm and on the edible one 40-50mm.
I think I need a ruler, but since we had heavy frost last night I have no idea where the snails will have hidden.

You must get really small satsumas if those figures (taken from Wiki) are right though.

cheers,
M

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Yes, we have small satsumas (easy peelers) and technically you can get walnuts over 50cm (Coble’s Number 2 if you're interested).:lmao:

When your snails are active a photo would be useful, Roman snails always seem paler and just more chunky.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Chickens make short work of snails, and slugs and weeds and just about everything else, keep them in your yard/garden and the decimation can be localised. I don't think we have roman snails with us, but we have some right fatties, and lots of them, hiding in the warmest spots of the garden.

I'm in Lithuania at the moment, whilst browsing the menu at the hotel last night, I noted they had "snails on toast" right next to "herring & potatoes", in the hot snack section, tonight I'll find out if their farmed wild roman etc ;)

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I'm just curious to figure out just what's grazing the paths at night now :)

M

A massive leopard slug had left a trail up my door last night and it was freezing.

I found some garden snails in the middle of a stone wall I was rebuilding at the weekend.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE