Edible from home

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Okay so here is my edible things 10 minutes form home.I live in the city so I would to eat a lot of stuff I find.But here go’s next to the railroad tracks there’s a mass of wild fennel and you don’t have to go far to find a dandelion growing up from the cracks in the road.Next to the old boarded up chinese restaurant grows a choko vine grows up some old iron stairs.Down the road from that a big prickly pear grows on a strip of waste ground.Sometimes I take a mandarin for the over hanging branches from a neighbours garden on the way to work.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
If we include farms, I could find most fruit and veg. Not including farms, their are lots of mushrooms, nettles, dandelion, oak trees, pine trees, birch trees, blaeberries, wild rasps, brambles, and a lot more that I can't remember at the moment.

carla

Apr 17, 2008
shropshire
ummm what are blaeberries?
im looking for choke berries latin name is aronia.
loads of elder around shame hardly anybody uses it any more. poor year for damsons, lots of sloes tho.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
blae = bluish grey
The blaeberry is the Scottish blueberry, it's small and sweet and full of flavour unlike those tasteless disappointments from the supermarkets :(
Find them if you can, 'cos the deer, the sheep, the brock and the birds love them too :)

cheers,
Toddy

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Know were you are comeing from Toddy.This is my edible from home a few years ago in Glasgow Scotland.A short walk in the woods near my old house you find lots and lots of stinging nettles cooked there a bit like spinach.As well as a few good mushrooms in the woods Jews ear orange peel and puff ball always seem to be on growing somewhere.Head in to the hills a bit and you will find some wild thyme(introduced by the Roman soldiers) and you can always find some brambles berry’s in summer.Happy days for a forager!

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
They do a lovely roasted vegetable pannini in the cafe just around the corner from ours :D

Seriously though, we call blaeberries, bilberries, and they are lovely this year 'cos it's been so wet! There'll be blackberries but they aren't ripe yet. The rowan berries are just taking colour and it looks as if there's going to be a good haul.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
ummm what are blaeberries?
im looking for choke berries latin name is aronia.
loads of elder around shame hardly anybody uses it any more. poor year for damsons, lots of sloes tho.

Bilberry is the english name, vaccinium myrtillus. More of a superfood than blueberries ,and the leaves are simerlar to cranberry and uva-ursi in the treatment UTIs. They grow on ericious moors, you may get them on the cleobury hills near lemster.

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
I know all the following occur within 10 minutes walk though I dare say there are many others that I haven't noticed yet.

Plants

Hazel, hawthorn, rowan, sloe, damsons, elder, nettles, sorrel, chickweed, garlic mustard, golden saxifrage, meadowsweet, bramble, raspberry, wood sorrel, pignut, ground elder, heather, bilberry, cleavers, comfrey, yarrow, burdock, dandelion, ramsons,

Fungi

parasol, shaggy parasol, field mushroom, various boletes, puffball, stinkhorn?

Animals

Squirrel, pigeon, brown trout, rabbit (scarce), brown hare (occasionally) and there are crayfish in the river but they are native so out of bounds.

Of course if it was an emergency then the easiest source of meat would be sheep or cow.

Steve

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Edible plants? Having to go on several imaginary walks in the mind the think this one through. Also have to think all year round, not just now.

elder
plantain
bramble
nettle
wild garlic
wild plumb
japanese quince
bamboo
ground elder
horse chestnut (with care)
oak tree
dandelion
yew (with care)
cherry laurel
hazel
typha
beech
rose
oregon myrtle
Choisya (As a food flavouring, in my experience and no record of any known harm)
Sycamore
Birch
Asarum canadense

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
In my yard;
Trout Lily
Blueberry
Black Raspberry
Red Raspberry
Blackberry
Wild Strawberry
Dandelion
Hazel
Beech (all though they have yet to form nuts)
Oak
Sugar Maple
Birch
Pine
Crabapple(this is the first year it has fruited)
Choke cherry
Wild Rose
Wood Sorrel
Red Clover
White Clover
Wild Saapirilla
Wintergreen
Fiddleheads (although not enough for a meal)
Elderberry
Japanese Knotweed
Violets
Thistle
Queen Annes lace(wild carrot)
Pineappleweed
Jewelweed

Within a 10 minute walk;
Wild Concord Grapes
Apples (not sure if these are remnants of an old farm or something that just sprung up like my Crabapple)
Chestnut
Hickory
daylily( there are no houses so i am not sure if these are escaped or if ther was ahouse at one time)
Sassafras
Autumn Olive
Mulberry
nettles
cattail
Staghorn Sumac

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I was out today in a lovely forest, ate a bunch of things, took home about a pound of blaeberries for muffins or jam, and about 200g of chanterelles.

Also found one cep, but it was a little eaten so I left it. And I also found numerous amanita, which I left well alone.

10 minutes aaway, mmmmmm lots really.
Eels from the stream at the bottom of the garden.
Wild raspberries
Blackberries
dandilions
Plantion
goose grass
pine needles
spruse resin
oak acorns
Ash keys
hazle nuts
wild sage
mint
cows
sheep
chickens (and thrie eggs)
Blackthorn sloes (when ripe)
Hawthorn leaves (and haws when ripe)
Rhubarb
rabbits
pidgeon
squirrel
cleever
thistle
nettles
fungi
If I thought long and hard about it I could probably go on for ages.
Yes, I live in the country.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
In no paticular order
Sow thistle
cleavers
bittercress
japanese knotweed
blackberry
origan grape
rat tail plantian
garlic mustard
chickweed
ground ivy
mint
sage
goosefoot
hazelnut
seabuckthorn
acorns
wild cabbage
rape
bulrushes
linden
rosehip three types
sloe
bird cherry
sour cherry
apple
crayfish
hawthorn
whitebeam
sheep
horse
pear two types
cherry plum
plums four types
what i think is loganberry
fungi
snails
silverweed
meadowsweet
shepards purse
horseradish
redshank
sorrel
nettle
wood pigdeon
rabbit
hare but haven't seen one for 5 years

and yes i live in a city

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
rose hip
chestnut
nettles
some 10sp.of mushrooms
birch
crabapple
beech
oak
hazel
blackberry
strawberry
black elder
hawthorn
brackens
fern
common sorrel
ribwort plantain
greater plantain
daisy
dandelions
chenopodium album
comfrey
tuberous comfrey
wild garlic
yarrow
horseraddish
wild cherry
wild carrot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE