Edible Crabs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
So I've got my seashore book, and it tells me there's a good number of different species of crab round our coast, one's even called the Edible Crab and looks like the one you get with your crab lunch at that nice wee harbour side pub.

How edible are the others? what's the difference? Recent experience suggests that it may be to with the amount of meat in the body. Anyone know.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
One for me I think as I was there on the weekend ;-)

The edible crab, also called the brown crab is the most commonly eaten crab in the uk. There is a minimum keeping size of 12cm though this only strictly applies if you are selling them. The females carry eggs and therefore should be thrown back for the sake of conservation of food stocks.

The shore crab, also called the green crab is also edible and is a highly prized in venice.

Spider crabs, the ones with the spiky shells can also be eaten... the meat is sweeter and more commonly eaten in spain than the uk.

Recent experience suggests that it may be to with the amount of meat in the body
That stuff in the shell is edible, just remember to remove the dead mens fingers (see a post further back about this). Most people expect 'meat' in the shell as that how it is normaly served.... where infact the shell is normaly scraped clean and mixed with the white meat of the claws and legs before being put back in the shell and served..... hence people expect nice white crab meat in the shell.... In the brown edible crab, for example, after the dead mens fingers, stomach etc have been removed you are left with a rich creamy brown meat...... lovely

Hope this helps and I hope you enjoyed your 'Recent Experience'

:)
Ed

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Shore crabs, spider crabs and velvet swimming crabs also make good eating.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE