Edibility of Pea Family

L

Lukas

Greeting,

I am trying to research the edible wild species of the pea family (Leguminosae) and find it quite hard to find SOLID information. What I usually find is that the edible examples are toxic in larger quantities; but that does not really help. Anyone has any experience with vetches, tares and so on? I am looking only at British/European species.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a little knowledge of these.
Mostly from what is known to be edible in the past and is now referred to as 'Famine Foods'.

Basically there's a heck of lot of edible plants out there, many however are so unfamiliar to us, and need a wide gut flora to digest comfortably, that they get reported as mildly toxic. Elderberries are a classic example, but I know of folks who get horrendous wind the first few times they eat fathen or ransoms.

'Peas' are a whole other ball game though, because some really are very toxic, laburnum for instance and crown vetch (nitrotoxins).
You might find more information researching famine foods I reckon.

I'm no expert but it'd be interesting to know a lot more :D

cheers,
Toddy

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Greeting,

I am trying to research the edible wild species of the pea family (Leguminosae) and find it quite hard to find SOLID information. What I usually find is that the edible examples are toxic in larger quantities; but that does not really help. Anyone has any experience with vetches, tares and so on? I am looking only at British/European species.

You had a look at the PFAF database?
http://www.pfaf.org/user/plantsearch.aspx

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'm very interested in this as well. I've often thought they'd be a good source of foragable, storable protein but just like toddy said - it's difficult to get definite info. My gut feeling is that if they're was a decent edible, wild pea - we'd know all about it by now. Just as we do for the other prime foragable food.

people eat gorse flowers, maybe the pods of gorse are edible?

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
According to Mr Mears all of the seeds of the vetches are edible, but only if they are consumed whilst still green and they are not to be consumed in large quantities, for reasons explained by Toddy. They are mildly toxic, and become more so as they mature.

L

Lukas

I have looked at PFAF and found some information. A few vetches (Bitter, Common, Tufted) and Hair Tare seem reasonably edible and nutritious in moderate quantities (apparently 30% of the total diet is safe). Some of the better species are found in America though. I will continue looking. As for the information from Mr Mears, how have you heard of this? Personal conversation or book?

Thank you

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I have looked at PFAF and found some information. A few vetches (Bitter, Common, Tufted) and Hair Tare seem reasonably edible and nutritious in moderate quantities (apparently 30% of the total diet is safe). Some of the better species are found in America though. I will continue looking. As for the information from Mr Mears, how have you heard of this? Personal conversation or book?

Thank you

I think I saw him say it on TV, and it says something similar in his book. I'm yet to meet him personally...

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
Vetches are said to be edible. as the leaves are as well. But in reality, peas have some of the most dangerous plants, mainly Saponin poisons that can be destroy with several changs of water. some vetches are extremely toxic. so when in doubt throw it out. Vicia Spp and general edible and is really part of the sweet pea family, but hedysarum vetchs can be highly poisonous. Peas is a 50/50 hit and miss, so it is better to wait years, then t eat something that will kill you. Lupines is one of those beans that Italians eat alot of, but if process wrong, you are a goner for sure. Do I really want peas and beans that bad?I dont think so.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Leachim, that doesn't apply to all vetches, and the pea family is every bit as important in the annals of human nutrition as the grasses.

They are protein and mineral rich sources of food and worth investigating and becoming familiar with.

There's another reason for their importance; they store very, very well, and in a temperate climate that's a vital survival resource.

cheers,
Toddy

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
oh course not, what I meant was Lupine beans, throw it out if you have doubts on cooking them, but Vetch is a wide name for many plant species, some poinoius and some not. Thats why I like Scientific names only. I eat Kuduz beans in the wild a lot, and Wisteria flowers I eat in teas, or breads. Milk Peas are dangerous here, but I would never rule out a good food source, but like the parsley family, you better seriously know what you are doing. Cherokee beans -Coral Beans and Rosary Peas here will kill you deader than a door nail. Locust beans here is a mystery that says you can eat them and you cant. Until I watch an indian make them for 2 months, I am avoiding them. But the honey Locust tree I will eat tons of them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE