Eden quality waterstones

Aug 28, 2013
perth
Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with these stones? I know they're different to the true Japanese stones, but how much so? How much harder are they? Do they achieve the same sharpness? Are they harder to use? What grits in the Eden range are comparable to the grits in the Japanese range of stones? I've got a 1000 and 6000 stone but it's making no difference to the old buck I've got apart from rounding the stone at an alarming rate..

Thanks fr any help

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I'm guessing you mean the Chinese stones? I have this one...http://www.edenwebshops.co.uk/en/pt/-eden-quality-combi-waterstone-grain-2000-5000.htm 2000/5000 grit.

I like mine and can get a knife sharper than a sharp thing using it. I can't compare it to a Japanese stone as I've never had one so I can only give ya my experience of it. For the money it's very adequate. It's also a good price to learn free hand sharpening on in case ya mess it up although getting it level again isn't hard if required.

Eden claim the 5000 grit is approx equivalent of a 1500 Naniwa stone but Dave Budd, a custom knife maker, claims it's actually nearer 5000. I read that on another forum somewhere. The 2000 grit is easily capable of re setting a bevel although it can take some time depending on the steel.

I'm not claiming they are the best stones on the market or for the price but I am claiming they are very good. Mine has served me well in learning to sharpen freehand and I won't be buying a more expensive stone any time soon. In fact if I broke it I would buy another. I have managed a shaving sharp edge on all my knives using it, although I have caught the bug and supplemented it with a piece of Welsh slate as a polishing stone and a strop. :D They are not necessary to get a shaving sharp edge though. The Chinese stone I have will do that adequately.

Hope that helps.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE