ECWCS - Extended Cold Weather Clothing System - Gen II

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Looking for a warm and waterproof woodland smock at the mo and have been thinking about the ECWCS - Extended Cold Weather Clothing System - Gen II style...

Just wondered if anyone's used this type of system/clothing before, looks like US army issue and quite tidy for the price.

Regards, TBL.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I have owned/used an ECWCS parka since about 1988. Mine was issued, gen 1 made of genuine Gore-Tex. To my recollection, the genII model (genuine issue) was never made in Woodland pattern. The USMC digital Woodland is genII and the US Army's gen II is ACU pattern.

Now, there are plenty of copies about that come in various patterns and I cannot say that they are good or bad but they certainly are cheaper, by less than half in fact. I have seen a gen II in the Multicam pattern, which is excellent camoflauge, but I did not ask the wearer if he'd had it in the wet. Some if not most of these ECWCS "type" parkas do not have taped seams and although some non-Gore-Tex waterproff/breathable coatings are very good, I am not sure about the ECWCS clones fabrics.

A couple of things about the parka that I like are the pockets, large hood and numerous features designed to keep the weather off the wearer. Very well designed. What I do not particularly like is the weight, it's quite heavy, and the lining seems to "grow" over time and look saggy. It is also bulky to pack. I do not use it often anymore.

If you look about on eBay you can find genuine Gore-Tex ECWCS in Woodland or 3-color desert pattern for fairly cheap. Since the woodlland and desert have been replaced for official wear by the ACU pattern. The Gore-Tex are only Gen 1, which means the hood is not stashed in the collar and the lower pockets are different design. You can find Gore-Tex in digital woodland (USMC) that are genII but they are usually priced high.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cheers Launditch, I do like the woodland issue pattern.... and the jacket seems well made for the price, would you say its hard wearing, can take a good downpour and vents well?

If so, i think thats settiled. around £65 is the best I've seen it for, but I'm still looking :)

Regards, TBL.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Excellent info Wizard !
I have owned/used an ECWCS parka since about 1988. Mine was issued, gen 1 made of genuine Gore-Tex. To my recollection, the genII model (genuine issue) was never made in Woodland pattern. The USMC digital Woodland is genII and the US Army's gen II is ACU pattern.

Now, there are plenty of copies about that come in various patterns and I cannot say that they are good or bad but they certainly are cheaper, by less than half in fact. I have seen a gen II in the Multicam pattern, which is excellent camoflauge, but I did not ask the wearer if he'd had it in the wet. Some if not most of these ECWCS "type" parkas do not have taped seams and although some non-Gore-Tex waterproff/breathable coatings are very good, I am not sure about the ECWCS clones fabrics.

A couple of things about the parka that I like are the pockets, large hood and numerous features designed to keep the weather off the wearer. Very well designed. What I do not particularly like is the weight, it's quite heavy, and the lining seems to "grow" over time and look saggy. It is also bulky to pack. I do not use it often anymore.

If you look about on eBay you can find genuine Gore-Tex ECWCS in Woodland or 3-color desert pattern for fairly cheap. Since the woodlland and desert have been replaced for official wear by the ACU pattern. The Gore-Tex are only Gen 1, which means the hood is not stashed in the collar and the lower pockets are different design. You can find Gore-Tex in digital woodland (USMC) that are genII but they are usually priced high.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Interesting reading wizard, The Gen11's i have seen so-far are a gore-tex 'type' fabric, but the one I've been looking at is fully tapered seams, so some effort has gone into making it.

I'll look more into your information now, I did spot quite a few clones in my wandering...

The one I've been looking at is made by Manufacturer: Helikon

Regards, TBL.

Last edited:

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
The US military uses many manufacturers to make the ECWCS parkas, pants and under layers. They just have specifications that must be adhered to and the finished product is randomly inspected for compliance. Some of the same manufacturers make commercial versions to specs or make them with less expensive fabric coatings, than the name brand Gore-Tex. Most of the modern waterproof/breathable fabrics perform very well, some may even be better than Gore-Tex, just sell for less.

The ECWCS Multicam genII that I looked over seemed to be as high a quality as my government issued Gore-Tex model, just used a different laminate for the waterproofing. That particular one came from here http://ustacticalsupply.com/h2oecwcsgen-2parka-multicam.aspx
Atlanco is a well known name in the US military market and they make numerous milspec items.
Hope this helps some, there are plenty of choices, that is for sure! Cheers.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'm glad they don't have one in coyote brown as I'd want one then! Let us know how you get on with it Al when you get one...

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thanks for pointing that out nolightweight, that was actually the vendor i was looking at!

And sasquatch, i think they do LoL :)

Had a PM and awaiting some pricing, Genuine issue Gore-Gex.

Regards, TBL.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Looks like a nice product. although in American clothing i'm a L-L (large-long) although my issue acu shirt is large extra long and fits like a glove of shiney digitalness. they only seem to list chest sizes rather then lengths (s, m, l)
a m8 did manage to pick up a gen-1 at a weekender (airsoft) in 06 with its armpit zippers/vents and water resistance we were all pretty damned envious.

speaking of airsoft:
http://airsoft-club.com/shop/tactic...rproof-ecwcs-gen-1-parka-jacket-camo-woodland

huzzah for knockoffs.

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Thanks for pointing that out nolightweight, that was actually the vendor i was looking at!

And sasquatch, i think they do LoL :)

Had a PM and awaiting some pricing, Genuine issue Gore-Gex.

Regards, TBL.

You're a bad man! I haven't seen a link for a brown jacket yet so don't go finding one. It doesn't exist if I haven't seen it!

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Bought a genuine ACU one recently and so far I'm happy with it. As wizard said though, the lining does seems saggy and overall it is quite bulky. If you're planning on going out when it's wet and wearing it all the time it shouldn't be a problem. Haven't tested mine in anger yet, but looking at the weather forecast it won't be long :)

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Bought a genuine ACU one recently and so far I'm happy with it. As wizard said though, the lining does seems saggy and overall it is quite bulky. If you're planning on going out when it's wet and wearing it all the time it shouldn't be a problem. Haven't tested mine in anger yet, but looking at the weather forecast it won't be long :)

Thanks for that Fizzy... Its just purley for winter nights around the campfire and ideally capable enough to get me home, dry and warm on the way back.

Cheers for the pointers, TBL.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Fizzy
Although I know what you are referring to, your comment "I'd be a bit weary about wearing anything nylon around a camp fire though" made me chuckle.
It's OK for U.S. squaddies to cook in, or be napalmed in, but too risky around the camp fire lol

Many of us probably remember the ban on jungle kit in NI due to the risk of melt injury from petrol bombs (even though oxford nylon waterproofs were OK lol), which conveniently was forgotten when the new poly cotton '90/'95 uniforms came in lol. Me thinks the ban was more to do with the fact that the higher ups didn't like seeing us in different cammo's :)

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Well, i dont mean poking the embers LoL... Just a warm camp jacket.

Ironically, i didnt really notice until yesterday i have a Dickies woodland cammo snowboarding jacket thats pretty much an exact copy of the Gen-1.

Just a little thinner.

Not had any problems with that, but no-doubt I've tempted fate now :)

Regards, TBL.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE