Ecologically reasonable insulated Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I am looking for an insulated jacket, the one I have is synthetic, it it getting to be thin., which means the insulation has washed away and is inside of the cod i will have with chips in a years time. I have looked at down and wool as an alternate. Do you have any ideas of jackets of insulating standard ? I do not have any precidence for facing material as plastic is good for non absorbing qualities, but cotton is good for non burning qualities.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnnytheboy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
As you know, wool doesn't lose its 'loft' when wet/damp like down does. Hollowfill is a good sub for down.

Carhartt 'Canyon' model. Buy it once and buy it for life. They don't ship that model to Canada (?) or I would own one.
Anything in the Helly Hansen line? Mustang marine wear is probably over the top but worth a visit to the chandler.

Doubt it would be adequate at -25C but ther are many other Carhartt models, the 'chore coats' that are excellent.
And, they are practicaly wind proof and "rain resistant".
Big shot of -30C nights now, the Carhartt, the new one that I have, is good with a wool sweater and scarf.
Internal waist thong so it can't act like bellows.

Dakota makes oversize flannel shirts with quilted linings. I got one for Christmas. Oh my, is it cozy.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I have the Berghaus Ramche micro it use's 850 fill hydro down and is very good so is the dune line and Tephra jackets not so good with sparks but dry way faster than wool

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Why don't you wear a light cotton jacket like US Army BDU or Austrian Bundesheer KAZ 02, or a light breathable rainproof jacket over one or several thiner woolen jumpers?

That works very well and is lighter than a thick woolen jacket with the same insulation qualities.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel!

Nettle, flax (or later cotton) jackets, perhaps waterproofed with bee wax, over knitted wool jumpers are in use since thousands of years in Europe.
That's simply a very well working system.

Last edited:
Reactions: GuestD and Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have seen samples of Norse knitted and weaved stuff. The knitting look like my mom did it, but the weaved stuff was quite rough.
Imported cloths were of course fantastic.

I still wonder if the OP would accept animal skin?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If gets wet yes, but it can be treated ( gently waxed) .

If you want something your kids will cherish once you pop the clogs and start pudhing the daisies, look into Aviation Lrathercraft’s Itvin jackets.
They custom make at no extra cost.
Quality you do not see today.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In the UK, is there an online discount clothing venture like Sierra Trading in North America?
They buy end lots of all kinds of clothing = a warehouse in Wyoming.
I see dozens of different ski jackets under $100.00 (60BPS).
That really translates as about 25% or less of the original retail store price.

I bought a Kakadu Outback Trading coat that was made in Austalia.
Original retail was $350.00 ( because I was in OZ and I tried them on.)
Cost me $80.00, delivered to my front door in Canada in less than a week.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
A thick pullover can dry easily and usually faster than it becomes whet in light rain, if you wear it.

A sheep doesn't get whet skin usually, but of course its pullover is thicker.

If you cover the pullover with a thin waxed cotton layer you get more or less the same effect.

If you enclose merino wool in plastic fabrics from both sides that can't dry as fast as a merino pullover, because you reduced the surface.

I guess it will work in normal conditions. But should that really get whet it will not dry out as fast as a plastic fleece jacket or a plastic filled padded jacket.

Just take your old jacket, throw it in water, twist it out and stand yourself today on the balcony for an hour!

In the end you will be ill perhaps, but dry.

Than take a merino shirt and look how long it needs to dry. And then put it in plastic fabric and compare it!

You will see, that the open wool dries faster than the covered one.

And than you can imagine, how long you would stand on your balcony, until a merino filled plastic jacket would be dry.

With a bit bad luck in the end you would be dead, instead of becoming ill in woolen jumper or plastic fleece or plastic filled plastic jacket!

It's easy to wash your stuff by hand and to compare how long it needs to dry.
Just do it!

Reactions: Janne

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I thought more about the OP when I got up this morning.
> windproof
>what I would call light insulation = ski jackets keep coming to mind, lots of pockets for a day on piste
> some sort of a 100% waterproof shell when you get caught out = use it

Just -30C here at sunrise, -37C in the city this morning. We have a whole different view of winter.
I can easily dress for it but I'd rather have another cup of coffee.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If it rains, it is nearly impossible to stay dry, Janne!

We are usually drying fast, that's the point!

Without thinking about canoe expeditions, loosing parts of the equipment and so on, a point we shouldn't forget is, that unlike a woolen jumper, which doesn't really need to be washed, a plastic jacket will start to smell after a couple of days. It doesn't really matter, what they filled in it, I think.

That means, he has to wash it.
And than it doesn't dry.

By the way: In Colone stands the largest outdoor shop of Germany. They do not sell a merino filled padded Jacket. Perhaps the international leading brands know what they do...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE