Eco-system hammock setup ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A question for those of you who setup using Rays eco-system method....

In his video Ray says you must tie your hammock to the tree above the tarp ridgeline and utility line, why is that ?

It`s something I`ve always done but I don`t for the life of me know why.

I can`t see any obvious advantages over other methods, I sometimes use the shoelace bow or reef knot tied tightly at about waiste height, and I can`t see why this is any worse than Rays method.

just curious

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
I would say that Ray says stuff that is just how he does it. I doubt there is a reason. I use a DD hammock and tie it taught below the ridge line of a tarp. I find you need to keep hammocks flat and sleep on a diagonal. That way you’re not bent and I sleep better. As long as you have a drip ring/wrap/cord in the tarp line I doubt it makes much difference.

It would be no fun if we were all the same.......:)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have always put my tarp ridge line as high as I can reach ( I am 5'8") to give me a bit of head room under the tarp. The hammock I have low and tight as I prefer it flat to u shaped. ( Sometimes end up with my ar** 12 inchs from the ground still, 90 kg does tend to cause a droop!!) I also use the DD tree huggers and have never had a hammock slip on me.

Could it be that the tarp line would stop the hammock slipping too much / too soon? Almost as a safety net?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`m thinking now that it might be so he can tie the mossie net ridgeline horizontal and still give himself some headroom inside ??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE