Ebay. "Spark-Lite" and "Tinder-Quik"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I just found the following on ebay. I dont really think much of them myself.

Spark-Lite Fire Starting Kit Bushcraft & Survival NR Item number: 8717541755
Probably not as good as a firesteel?

Tinder-Quik 25 pieces - Fire Starting Kit Bushcraft Item number: 8717530899
The "tinder-quick" just seems to be cotton wool tinder. Bloody expensive if you ask me.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I like the spark-lite firestarting kit. Compact, lite weight, quick and easy to use one handed under adverse conditions and at least here in the US, it's relatively inexpensive to buy at around $8.00-$9.00US, so the auction isn't too far out of line. The container that houses the spark-lite and tinder is waterproof. The tinder is waterproofed and will lite with a spark from the tool in wet conditions and will burn for a couple of minutes. I cut each piece of tinder into 4 pieces and then fluff it up, so it will better catch a spark. I carry one in each rucksack, bag and my vest. But then, I also carry a firesteel and tinder bundles with me and usually have a disposable and adjustable lighter somewhere in my gear.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I agree with RovingArcher....the sparklite and its tinder is a good combination. Doug Ritter's pocket kit has these included. The waterproofness and non-messiness of the tinder makes it great for a kit as it does not need a container...it can be stuffed in the odd corners where vaseline/cotton would only make a mess.

The little sparklite is good for many a spark, unfortunately it is non-refillable for the flint. It is sort of like an slim empty Bic and works great with its tinder.

I carry mine as a pocket kit only, not as a first choice starter where I do prefer a full sized Swedish firesteel and vaseline/cotton.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Thanks for the info. It does seem like it could be a good emergency fire starter kit. What is the tinder like? And how does the "sparker" compare to a firesteel?

thanks

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
I also noticed the sudden influx on ebay. But I wondered whether a cheaper alternative might be the packs of household firelighters for about £2 a pack.

I normally carry a couple of squares around with me, and they are easily shaved into a nice pile, and light immediately from a firesteel.

Does anyone know of any possible downsides for using these, (apart from the smell of petroleum).

TC

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
anthonyyy said:
Thanks for the info. It does seem like it could be a good emergency fire starter kit. What is the tinder like? And how does the "sparker" compare to a firesteel?

thanks

The tinder is braided cotton that's been impregnated with a wax solution. Any tinder should be fluffed up, prior to striking a spark so that it will catch the spark easily, on first try. Each piece can be divided into 3 or 4 pieces, which extends the life of the tinder that comes with the kit and it can be purchased separately. I picked up a couple of packages of the tinder and have it stashed throughout my gear and even stuffed a match capsule full of it and carry it on my belt with a SAK and Hotspark.

The spark-lite unit puts out more sparks than a lighter, but no where near the sparks of a firesteel. However, it is easier to place the sparks where you want them and it is one hand operation, which if you are injured and only have use of one hand, would come in handy. The only drawback to the spark-lite is that if you are suffering from the shakes and uncoordinated dexterity caused from either injury or hypothermia, it could be very difficult to use. But, so would most other firestarters.........

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
They look nice and small and the design looks like it would be easier to get the sparks where you need them without scattering the tinder (as I clumsily manage with a firesteel).

I think I remember seeing an old thread saying that these worked OK with the supplied tinder but not much use with anything else.

Could anyone who has used one comment on this please? Are they any good with natural tinders?

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
daved said:
They look nice and small and the design looks like it would be easier to get the sparks where you need them without scattering the tinder (as I clumsily manage with a firesteel).

I think I remember seeing an old thread saying that these worked OK with the supplied tinder but not much use with anything else.

Could anyone who has used one comment on this please? Are they any good with natural tinders?

I'm by no means an expert, but perhaps your technique with the tinder and firesteel may need a little tweaking. If I may, I'll share a bit of how I do it. Not that it's the best way, but it works well enough for me.

I use the awl of my SAK as striker when using a ferro rod like the hotspark or firesteel. I hold the tinder to the awl so that it drapes over the blade, away from the firesteel. I tuck the ferro rod under the tinder and then holding the tinder and awl stationary, I draw the ferro rod back. The resulting sparks are thrown directly into the tinder, which usually ignites on first try. I hold the tinder close enough to the prepared makings for the fire, so that I can drop it and slide the burning tinder into possition using the blade of the SAK or a stick. If small tinder shavings are involved, I bundle them inside of cotton or similar and the fluff ignites the shavings.

As for the spark-lite being adequate enough to ignite the more natural forms of tinder, it depends on how the bundle is prepared as to whether it will work. Placing those flammable materials like birch bark, that would be difficult to ignite with the spark-lite in their whole form, into a bundle that has a tinder fluff at it's heart, then the birch bark and then something to hold it all together like dried moss, etc., would enable the sparking tool to work well, by igniting the fluff and folding everything loosely onto itself and gently blowing the bundle to get it to flame.

Brangdon

Jun 25, 2005
Nottingham, UK
daved said:
With any tinder I find Sparklite gives me better results than a ferro rod. This may be a matter of technique - the Sparklite is easier to use.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
RovingArcher said:
perhaps your technique with the tinder and firesteel may need a little tweaking. .

Yep. Can't argue with that!

I've tried a number of different techniques with varying success. The most successful is a variant on the one you describe, holding the tinder against the scraper. Another one that seems to work for me is to brace the scraper against ground, behind the tinder, place the firesteel on top and then pull back. Still don't have much success with natural tinder but they work well with cotton wool or other fluffy material

Would love to see a proper tutorial on using a firesteel from one of the experts on the forum - I'm sure it would help a lot of people. Any volunteers?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE