ebay hexi stove heads up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Cheers, although I hated using them in the army, and I'm sure as hell wouldn't want to use one now, but you never know someone may want to.

Nag.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't agree personally abushcrafter - I think that titanium esbit stove is an overpriced gadget.

However you are entitled to your opinion.

Thanks for the link BDM - I really like these for day walk brews - but have used my existing stove to the point of warping so a couple more to slip in my smock pocket will come in very handy -cheers!

Red

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have to say that I like the old hexy stoves - they may not be the most efficient stove, they may cover your pans with sticky black gunk, but for me they evoke happy memories of the end of a long day's tabbing when you're finally in your basha and the smell of burning hexy means hot food and a rest.

And if it takes 10, 20, 30 minutes to heat up your food, so what? You can take that time out to relax and enjoy the surroundings.

Geoff

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
tbh I never have/had a problem with my hexi, I think it's a cracking bit of kit and always found it coped quite well with a mess tin on top, even though I've just bought a trangia I'll still be using my hexi

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
i agree with BR, TF and BDM - i use the crusader unit with my hexi, but i love it for that early morning brew - no hiss of a gas cannister, just a nice and quiet 10 mins to enjoy the dawn
i think abushcrafters youthful exuberance has got the better of him again:rolleyes: - i know i'd rather have a more stable base for my mug than that titanium effort

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
i think abushcrafters youthful exuberance has got the better of him again - i know I'd rather have a more stable base for my mug than that titanium effort

Actually they are rather good with a round pot but not with a crusader and you can get them for a £5. That was just where I got mine from unfortunately :( :( :( :(
I didn't find that until it was to late

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...art=0&sid=sid7a48ff88a3c5ad89588c5efe4ceb2a3b :approve: [ I think. ]

and
I think abushcrafters youthful exuberance has got the better of him again.
explain please :D

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I'm glad some people manage to get a good use of hexi burners, but for the life of me I could never get any satisfaction from them when out in the field. No doubt it depends greatly on the conditions at the time ( I was mainly using them in windy rainy and bloody freezing places ) Perhaps if I tried again now, I would see them in a different light.

Nag.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
I'm glad some people manage to get a good use of hexi burners, but for the life of me I could never get any satisfaction from them when out in the field. No doubt it depends greatly on the conditions at the time ( I was mainly using them in windy rainy and bloody freezing places ) Perhaps if I tried again now, I would see them in a different light.

Nag.

nag - i know what you mean - they do definitely benefit from a windshield to work best - in my D of E days we didn't have shields, and trying to keep the heat under the pot/mug was sometimes impossible!
i just like them because they're simple and easy
abushcrafter - it just means that saying 'they're rubbish - get one of these' when some people have been using them for ages is a sign of your (enviable) young age - nothing to worry about though mate:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think theres a heck of a difference between having to use one to live off when yomping around "darn sarth" and using one for a brew :)

I do like the simplicity of them and use mine a lot - but thats because I can just chuck it packed flat into my shoulder bag with my mug underneath my water bottle and it makes for a small portable brew kit (okay theres a Swissgold filter for the coffee and a plastic pot of fresh ground home roast too). I would weekend on one if I was backpacking but beyond that, its Trangia time for me. For a small, basic, cheap brew kit stove though, I love em

Red

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
for goodness sake :rant: just make one in 5min :Wow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmO7ZRiZ5JA

A nice and easy device there! Although if I was feeling picky I'd point out that 1) Squaddies generally don't have rolls of tinfoil on them or even in their barracks, only paddys (married squaddies) did. 2) tin foil while no doubt will keep some wind away, but I think it may end up being blown away too.. :lol: The theory is sound though.

Nag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE