Ebay finished for knives... Now what?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Now that Ebay is stopping the sale of knives where do we go to get our fix?? I found this link for this site on British Blades that will hopefully be an alternative very soon. Run by a member there I believe and will cater for knife enthusiasts and makers.

Do you know of any others?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wonder if Tony could allow auctions here on members classifieds and makers section? Just a place to put bids up to a deadline?

Red

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
There are actually STILL knives for sale on ebay! was a clipper on there last night in the bushcraft section from a UK seller. There are still also loads of knives for sale from the states which ebay cleverly still brings up when you search eg, Fallkniven!

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
There are some lovely Opinel "cutlery sets" for sale on ebay, and ,cleverly, if you have one of these sets and lose one, you can buy a single one!;)
Surprisingly they look the same as the "illegal to carry" locking knives that Opinel produce that used to be sold by the bucket load on ebay...:nono:

eskimo

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 1, 2006
Humberside
There are some lovely Opinel "cutlery sets" for sale on ebay, and ,cleverly, if you have one of these sets and lose one, you can buy a single one!;)
Surprisingly they look the same as the "illegal to carry" locking knives that Opinel produce that used to be sold by the bucket load on ebay...:nono:

Next thing they'll be selling Beretta bird scarers.

There are actually STILL knives for sale on ebay! was a clipper on there last night in the bushcraft section from a UK seller. There are still also loads of knives for sale from the states which ebay cleverly still brings up when you search eg, Fallkniven!

You are still free to buy knives from any other country on eBay - also sellers can list on ebay.com so it makes the whole ban thing pretty pointless (unless you count PR brownie points)

You'll still find knives pop up all the time, they will only be removed when someone reports the item. i wouldn't recommend trying to get around the ban by using different keywords, this will just get your ebay account suspended.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Yup - the ban came in on 11th March.

Would you believe it, our last ebay knife customer was half way through a purchase when all of the listings got pulled. He was from mainland europe and wasn't aware of the ban coming in. He was able to buy everything that he needed through ebay - bar one of the knives that he wanted and had not pressed the "buy it now" button in time.

Ebay sure looks empty without all of those moras, clippers and crook knives on it. Next stop will be the suvival kits that contain blades.

Whilst a lot of the more established traders will no doubt consider their futures and maybe go on to set up their own sites, I do hope that I see other auction sites flourish and enable the makers to keep selling their wares.

.............and what was it our beloved Gordon Brown said about climping down on drinking???

"But as we crack down on binge and under-age drinking it's also right that we do not want the responsible sensible majority of moderate drinkers to have to pay more or suffer as a result of the excesses of a small minority."

Now swap 'drinkers' for 'knife users' and 'Binge / Underage drinking' for violent crime. If this is the Prime Ministers attitude can we expect to be protected from restrictive legislation and harassment while pursuing out legitimate business / hobby?

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I used to use a rather good quality kitchen knife in my camping/fire kit....a quality item which I was unfortunate enough to lose! I have now replaced it.....with 14" machette purchased from Amazon.....does everything I need, didn't cost a lot and totaly legal to purchase and use (legitimately) so what is the point of restricting sales elswhere?

it's not the knife that's the problem it's the idiot holding it!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, I loved the "twice what I paid for it" ray mears aniversary knife...

After two weeks and no reply I was tempted to post this:

tumbleweed2.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE