eat and drink

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
how about a sub-section of the lovely grub, where we can put recomemdations for pubs, cafes, butty vans etc..

Gives us somewhere to aim for if we don't know an area.

Start each one with the rough location the what it is and what stuff ie:

yorkshire dales, pub (food)

or

Yorkshire dales, pub (beer)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Could be a good idea ;) Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? It would need careful thread titles so that things were easy to find.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Besides the carefull (chosen) thread titles, it also needs a very close eye of site admin & mods. This to prevent any utter useless chatter, cluttering up the thread like:
"Yeah - that pub was great, good sandwiches, ...".
"I second that"
"Couldn't find it, so can't comment"
etc. etc.

I assume initial thought it would serve as some sort of quick reference / info about a certain area?
I personally would refine the thread title, something like:
Devon, Widecombe, Red Lion*, pub (food)

On the otherhand I question the relevance with bushcraft. It's all nice and good to widen the site with more info, etc. But in the end you can't place all the info on the site. There where some 'complains' (IIRC) the site not being accessable due to the amount of different (sub) fora.

By all the info I mean you have to draw a line what's bushcraft (and here we come to the old question of putting a definition to 'bushcraft'). Don't we need a seperate forum for polelathe (woodturning?) or atlatl. Why not set up a network with people who are willing to show you their woods? Don't we need some sort of bushcraft phonebook/directory (with all numbers of forrestries, outdoor shops, etc.), ...

A simple Google search normally will lead up with some info about pubs, restaurants in the area you will visit. Quality - fair enough, but tastes vary as much as there are people and ... This (BCUK) isn't a Michelin-guide ;)

And don't forget: Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.
Make sure you already have an aim before you leave home (Google) - if you don't know the area (that's what I did when I came to the UK: simply start a thread in the Out & About section).

:beerchug:

All the above written as my personal opinion, and with all respect to already showed opinions :) Others may vary, and I'm more than happy to see what people's opinions are on my post.

* = Don't know if there's a pub named like that, so made it up ;)

xylaria

EdS said:

Start each one with the rough location the what it is and what stuff ie:

yorkshire dales, pub (food)

or

Yorkshire dales, pub (beer)

Staffordshire moorlands, pubs SHUT :aargh4:

OS maps have watering holes of all types marked on them, but not whether they are open or if the locals are cannibals who 'like hikers'.

Or the "Creoso, dwyt ti ddim seasneg? Ooh well thats £4.00 a pint the spit is free."

xylaria

Welsh Dragon said:
:BlueTeamE :AR15firin :rant: :bluThinki :soapbox:

:
Thats excatly what I saw when I went into Village tavern, Hanley when I tried to get a fishing licence and I am local!!!!!

I came out my son asked can we go fishing yet, and said 'I no dear we need a stab vest first.'

Some kind forum for local knowlegde like that may be useful, but then driving to middle of nowhere for a pub meal is hardly bushcraft.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE