easy hobo stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dinky_doo

Mar 15, 2009
preston,lancs
hi guys,i'm after making a hobo stove for my cub scout pack, it has to be a simple design and easy to make. could any one point me to a link or pst some instructions. what fuel would be best to use, is meths any good. how about candles.
many thanks in advance, jason

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Look on POL for the buddy burner made with a tuna tin, cardboard and candle wax.
As with all such things prctice first before teaching the Cubs.

You can cook on tealights and almonds but they are more a Scout activity I find.

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
bit off toppic but...

i spotted a post earlier in the week with using candle wax and the "wavy" bit of card board. was it on here as i can't find it...

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Jason,
by most definitions, a hobo stove burned wood, foraged for free wherever you wanted to cook your meal. The stove itself is merely a means of containing a smallish fire to make the best use out of the resources you have.
An empty large (ish) food can with some holes for ventilation is the most basic form, going right up to things like Ikea cutlery drainers or purpose made or adapted items from all manner of donor containers.

A search for Wayland's Hobo Stove Gallery should point you in the right direction http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33879&highlight=hobo

ATB

Ogri the trog

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
The website listed below is the best one I have ever found regarding home made stoves. Gives a good description of each kind. If someone on here thinks they have found one better than this, or about as good, please PM me as I would like, very much, to know about it. These are a sort of hobby of mine.

http://zenstoves.net/

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
For what it is worth, (and that may be nothing), I have read that oftentimes the earliest versions of Hobo stoves were made out of spike buckets. When railroads (at least the ones in the U.S.) are replacing rails or cross ties, they drop off buckets of railroad spikes every so often. These buckets are probably about three gallons, in size. Since they are made to hold very heavy spikes, they are quite heavy duty built. Oftentimes, the railroads did not bother to pick up these buckets and the right-of-way was littered with them.

They were readily available to anyone near the rail road tracks. Here in the U.S., back during the Depression, there were wooded areas near the tracks and near towns that often held dozens of hobos. Supposedly, they all went out and "bummed" (begged) whatever food they could, and then cooked a big communal stew out of whatever was brought back. Only one stove was needed. They were not small nor compact, and no one took one with him. The next hobo "jungle" down the line would already have a stove.

Small hobo stoves supposedly evolved later and were used by loners who avoided the "jungles." In point of fact, there were probably very few historians living the hobo life and it is for the most part anecdotal evidence. If someone has a different version, I would not argue the point.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The thing with hobo stoves is that the originals were different to the ones most folk build now.

The drainers with holes all around are exactly what a hobo isnt.

A hobo stove in order to work properly needs to be a solid can( a empty bean tin is plenty good enough) with holes at the bottom on one side and holes at the top on the other.

It works like this.

When your fire is lit you face the bottom holes into the wind for a fast/hot burn or boil. Airflow travels up through the can and out of the top, making the flame hotter and directing it at the cooking vessel

If you want it to cook slower/simmer then you rotate it and have the top holes facing into the wind. The airflow supresses the flame and keeps it burning lower in the Hobo. But it will still burn well.

You see, they work on airflow, similar to wood burner in the home. No airflow means it wont burn.

Airflow all around creates a weak/undirected cooking flame which is what the drainers do.

Hobo's are quality coooking methods, most just dont have hobo's, they have little fire containers that someone had them believe was a hobo.

Those drainers everyone uses are useless for providing draw and work no better than a pot suspended 8 inch above a ground fire of equal size.

Oh, and real hobos are top feeds, a hole cut for adding fuel stops the stove from working as it should, a hobo stove does not need a base either, it could just be a tube you place on the ground.

Last edited:

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
How about the coke can meths stove? They seem quite effective and can be made in under half an hour. The downside is the edges can be sharp and may not be ideal if your intention is that the cubs make them.....? There is a thread on the site about making them and some videos on Youtube too. Good luck, Paul

Rob_Beek

Forager
Dec 19, 2009
Crewe
I thought a hobo was another name for a tramp, so it would be a tramps stove. Therefore a hobo stove could be any, of many designs.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I thought a hobo was another name for a tramp, so it would be a tramps stove. Therefore a hobo stove could be any, of many designs.

It could be any of many bits of scrap metal lying around but the simple design of what i posted above produces the best cooking flame out of any design you care to try. The materials used was what made it a hobo so you dont have to carry it, use and discard .I think one of the most popular materials was the humble food tin. bang 6 holes in it and away you go. Can you think of much simpler/effective ways?

like i said, exactly the same principle as a wood burning stove. just smaller.

If your flask stove didnt have a hole for the wood to be put in it would work more efficiently. its one of the better designs ive seen.

Last edited:

Rob_Beek

Forager
Dec 19, 2009
Crewe
Thanks, mine warmed up a tin of soup in 7 or 8 mins, probably boil water in 10 mins so it will do for me, i can also put a burner at the bottom and lower the cooking pot. Got the idea off silverfox bushcraft (you tube).

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Im just looking for the right donor put to make the actual Hobo anyone else with a bit more experience have any opinions on Hillbill's comments?

Seems to make sense to me but as ive never made/used one so would like to be sure before i start making mine lol

Thanks Dave

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
Best thing is just to try making a rough one with a large dog food tin or something similar. That might not be your final choice but its easy to cut holes in a tin so easy to test. Hillbill is talking about something like this:

paint.gif

I've just nicked the image from here:

http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/hobostv.htm

In one sense Hillbill is right, but then again there were probably as many different types of hobo stove as there were hobo's! I would say a hobo stove is a simple design tin to contain a fire and support a pot. it then gets adapted for ease of use and/or to make it more efficient.

Of course if you are playing with tins why not try a wood gas stove like this one by QDanT

2-1.jpg

which is posted on the absolutely brilliant hobo stove gallery thread.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33879&page=4&highlight=hobo+stove. Its a long thread now but there are loads and loads of different ideas.

I think we should make that thread sticky.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
As we are being so punctilious about words and nitpicking over what may or may not be a hobo stove, In the UK the term ‘tramp’, is what people did, not who they were. When navigators (navies) were in-between jobs they would, ‘tramp’ to the next job. I.e. walk carrying their kit and sleep rough. Just as the meaning of the word Viking has changed from a doing word to a being word (i.e. it was what the Norsemen did, not who they were). The meaning of hobo stove has changed from a large communal fire in a tin bucket, to a skilfully(or not) engineered stainless(or not) steel fire container.
The closest to a true hobo stove to be seen today is I suppose a large oil drum fire which is surrounded by the ‘housingly challenged’ .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE