easiest way to make char cloth?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
title says it all! anyone know the simplist way to make char cloth? im thinking: get an old cotton tshirt, cut it into squares, put a match to a square and stamp it out when it goes totally black? anyone got any other ideas?

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
baccy tin packed not too tightly with rectangles cut from old jeans and stick it in the ashes of your fire and cover in ashes, after about 15 minutes remove tin and allow to cool, once cool open and it should all be prefect char cloth, if you packed it too tightly some of the pieces in the centre may not be fully charred, leave em in tin and put back in the ashes, as long as you don't open the tin until cooled you're okay, you can do it on a much larger scale with a bigger tin like a coffee can

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I use a 'baccy' tin on the fire as well here's some photo's from my Blog :- http://teddytourteas.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/char-cloth-production.html
cutting towel into rough one inch strips
01%20strips_zpsticx7l9p.jpg~original

place in the tin, here a one ounce tobacco tin with a nail hole about the size of a match in the lid, the one in the photo’s only to illustrate this
02%20cut_zpskxdigwn5.jpg~original

03%20packed_zpso67wltrk.jpg~original

then in my case onto the fire though a B-B-Q or camp fire or even a blowlamp will do for as long as the smoke from the hole burns
at first there might be too much pressure but it will catch and burn with a roar then begin to die down
04%20on%20fire_zpswepxum2s.jpg~original

wait until it’s about candle flame size and remove from the fire and cover the hole up,
I find a coin works well, to stop any oxygen then it doesn’t smoulder away
05%20out%20penny_zpsxwltmy5r.jpg~original

when cool off with the lid and “Jobs a Gudun”
06%20chared_zpsml4gms6k.jpg~original

if it’s not black but still brown it needs to go back on to the fire, but you soon get the hang of it
and even chared the towel keeps it's small loops which are idel for catching a spark

Last edited:

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
I make a batch every time we BBQ, in a tin, in the back corner of the rack.
I used an old worn cotton mop, cut it in 1"+ length, very cheap and it is recycling.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a 'baccy' tin on the fire as well here's some photo's from my Blog :- http://teddytourteas.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/char-cloth-production.html
cutting towel into rough one inch strips
01%20strips_zpsticx7l9p.jpg~original

place in the tin, here a one ounce tobacco tin with a nail hole about the size of a match in the lid, the one in the photo’s only to illustrate this
02%20cut_zpskxdigwn5.jpg~original

03%20packed_zpso67wltrk.jpg~original

then in my case onto the fire though a B-B-Q or camp fire or even a blowlamp will do for as long as the smoke from the hole burns
at first there might be too much pressure but it will catch and burn with a roar then begin to die down
04%20on%20fire_zpswepxum2s.jpg~original

wait until it’s about candle flame size and remove from the fire and cover the hole up,
I find a coin works well, to stop any oxygen then it doesn’t smoulder away
05%20out%20penny_zpsxwltmy5r.jpg~original

when cool off with the lid and “Jobs a Gudun”
06%20chared_zpsml4gms6k.jpg~original

if it’s not black but still brown it needs to go back on to the fire, but you soon get the hang of it
and even chared the towel keeps it's small loops which are idel for catching a spark

I use the same method but using a syrup tin and an uncut Tesco tea towel (I would burn everything with Tesco on the label I I could) and keep the towels rolled up as char until I need them (one standard tea towel fits nicely into one large syrup tin). I use more syrup than I do baccy these days....

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
An altoids/mints tin works fine for me and I don't find a need for making a hole and then blocking it up after, the smoke escapes from around the hinges and the result is the same for me.

Cheers, Paul

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
baccy tin packed not too tightly with rectangles cut from old jeans and stick it in the ashes of your fire and cover in ashes, after about 15 minutes remove tin and allow to cool, once cool open and it should all be prefect char cloth, if you packed it too tightly some of the pieces in the centre may not be fully charred, leave em in tin and put back in the ashes, as long as you don't open the tin until cooled you're okay, you can do it on a much larger scale with a bigger tin like a coffee can

thanks buddy! i will def try this tonight.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
title says it all! anyone know the simplist way to make char cloth? im thinking: get an old cotton tshirt, cut it into squares, put a match to a square and stamp it out when it goes totally black? anyone got any other ideas?

That will work but instead of stamping on it you can try this method that I saw Mors Kohanski demonstrate.

You get an old hardback open it up then drop the lit cloth into it the open book then shut it and leave for a little while.

The paper may get singed but won't actually burn and the cloth won't be damaged like it could be if you stamp on it.

It make for a great open light charcloth which catches sparks very readily.

rancid badger

I make mine in a syrup tin too. You need to be sure that your cloth is pure cotton not poly cotton or other such material. Cook till the smoke/flame stops coming out of the hole then plug the hole and remove from the heat.
[video=youtube;mJ43Th05HAQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ43Th05HAQ[/video]
If you watch the hole, you'll see tar or oil forming around it with the occasional spit. This is why you need to try to use clean material, rather than heavily soiled cloth. If you don't avoid the tar formation, you potentially get this:
[video=youtube;vBGKw8JQLMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBGKw8JQLMQ[/video]
I generally leave it for an hour or so, then empty it out. I've found that you need to experiment with the amount of cloth and the packing as well, too tight and it doesn't cook properly, too loose and it burns.

Have fun regardless!

Steve

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
After running out of char cloth on a trip once I had to make a quick batch before my fire went out, so I used a bit of tinfoil, "the windbreak from my trangia " and the cotton lining from my pocket, wrap up the cloth in the tinfoil chuck it on the fire , it very quickly puffs up and starts to smoke, as soon as the smoke stops flick it out the fire and step on it, easy "I very rarely use a tin now".

Last edited:

rancid badger

seems that most folks cut their fabric for making charcloth?! I prefer to rip mine into strips and then cut them into smaller pieces--this leaves fibres sticking out on two sides, which makes it easier for a spark to catch(= I place mine on top of the flint/quartz ).....

I always just tear it into strips then either stuff it into the tin any old how or else roll it up first. The fibrous edges tend to be irrelevant with my "product" as I usually just rip off a chunk and set to:eek:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I use a tin like the one boiled sweets come in, round, about 4" in diameter. It has a hole in the top. Same as most of the suggestions above. Where my method differs is in the choice of cloth. I use Linen rather than cotton. This is for 2 reasons. 1) I have a lot of linen off cuts from sewing projects, 2) I started making this for use in a reenactment context in a pre cotton age...

I find it works very well. When I tried with a flint and steel at the weekend it caught a spark on the second strike. Which surprised me.

J

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
the hardest part of charcloth making is allways to find the tin, so a paint can is cool, and if you don't have, to tins(same size) are a good option one to store the cloth and the other one a hole in the bottom is used as a lid... both must be piled just like in the super market heat seals them and you can get them out off the fire, just lifting the top one.
burned an entire jeans with this method....
make the stick longer though:lmao:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE