Early Days

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
My g-grandfather and grandfather ran a 100 mile trapline. They took it over after Wild Bill Pemble and Tame Tom Parent moved west. They had waganogans or shacks about every 10 miles, each on a lake. The trapline made a large oval - so at the end of ten days - you ended up back at the homestead. Each shack had a birchbark or dugout canoe, depending on what the waters were like. The furthest north shack was on Ottertail Lake on the Canadian border. One of them would start out to the east and the other to the west - meeting at Ottertail after five days.

Grandfather wasn't too particular about borders, being part Ojibwe, and got chased by the Quetico rangers (he referred to them as "Mounties) a number of times while trapping in Canada. Ojibwe were not, at that time, considered to have duel citizenship - as they are today. He was a fast snowshoeman in his youth, and they never caught him, though they did exchange shots at a distance, at least once (no one was hurt). I heard this from his cousin, Joe Soulier, who was with him. Grandfather never denied it. All he would say was, "The Mounties don't always get their man."

I was doing a search on the web and found the following:
"... interviewed Bob Wells, a Quetico park ranger from 1927 to 1940. He worked mainly out of Basswood Lake at a time when all park rangers were male and worked in pairs. Six pairs of rangers patrolled the park by canoe in summer and by snowshoe in the winter. It was a time when canoeists were few, but logging was proceeding at a rapid rate and poaching was common.

That first interview, like the hundreds that followed, is loaded with fascinating stories. Bob Wells reminisced on a wide variety of topics, including some of the people he met while patrolling the park. He noted that John Sansted and Bill Wenstrom were guiding people into Quetico out of Ely before he started working in the park in 1927. He called John Linklater, the legendary Minnesota conservation officer whose mother was from Lac La Croix, the “greatest woodsman that probably ever hit this country.”

When discussing how they showshoed from cabin to cabin during the winter months while patrolling for poachers, he said that two of the rangers sometimes used skis rather than snowshoes."

This is something I remember grandfather talking about. Skis are faster than snowshoes, and he thought it downright unsporting of them to use skiis. Skiis do not work well in deep forest, however, and grandfather would just take to the woods. Fredrickson, Henrickson, and Linkletter are names of rangers I remember grandfather complaining about. Eckbeck, he liked, as he never bothered them about shooting moose (as he knew they needed the meat).

My great aunt told me one of the Canadian Rangers crossed the border to the Ottertail cabin, one time, intent on arresting grandfather. Grandfather got the drop on him, told him to drop his guns, which he did, then followed him back to the border where he returned the guns - minus bullets. My grandfather denied this ever happened, however. By the time I knew him, he was very law-abiding, and possibly he thought it would set a bad example. Or maybe it never happened. My great aunt was kind of wild and crazy.

This site shows some of the early fire rangers, and a distant relation of ours, one of the Ottertails.

http://www.queticofoundation.org/gallery.html

This site shows one of the later rangers:

http://www.sagonto.com/sagweb/tribute2.htm

Some Quetico and BWCA photos:

http://home.eol.ca/~adrew/canoeing/quetphotos.htm

http://www.jon-nelson.com/pictures/cat.asp?iCat=51

http://www.jon-nelson.com/pictures/cat.asp?iCat=49

Here is an arial photo of Tanner Lake - near where John Tanner was shot on the Maligne chain (check out "The Falcon," biography of John Tanner)

http://www.jon-nelson.com/pictures/cat.asp?iCat=41

Just a little stroll down memory lane.

PG

Reactions: tomtom

tprindle00

Jan 31, 2006
northeast, US
www.nativetech.org
I was quite surprised to see John Pringle, a Forest Technician in your first link... he looks just like my dad, uncles, grand, and great grand parents (they all look alike!). Thanks for sharing your story and the links.

I would imagine snow shoes would be alot faster than being the first to cut the snow with cross country skiis (I always liked to be the last in line!).

Tara

HoosierJed

Feb 6, 2006
Indiana,USA
pierre thanks for sharing the interesting story. They say that digging into family history can reveal a little about ourselves. Did you find this true about yourself? :rolleyes:

HoosierJed

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
tprindle00 said:
I was quite surprised to see John Pringle, a Forest Technician in your first link... he looks just like my dad, uncles, grand, and great grand parents (they all look alike!). Thanks for sharing your story and the links.

I would imagine snow shoes would be alot faster than being the first to cut the snow with cross country skiis (I always liked to be the last in line!).

Tara

Well Tara - why am I surprised to see you here?

Probably a long lost relation, eh?

Skiis are much faster. When we are up in the woods with snowshoes - we range out about three to five miles. With snowshoes (and a good trail or lakes to run on) we range ten to 20 miles. With snowshoes however, we are able to travel much easier through wooded areas and rough country.

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
HoosierJed said:
pierre thanks for sharing the interesting story. They say that digging into family history can reveal a little about ourselves. Did you find this true about yourself? :rolleyes:

HoosierJed

Hmmm... My grandfather and I were great friends. I guess it may be true in that I am much more interested in the backwoods chapters of our family history - than I am in the more civilized chapters.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE