Early advice for canoe trip next year (2-3 days Canadian canoe)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Maxip

Forager
Dec 2, 2011
Cumbria, UK
Looking for some advice - I want to take my eldest (12 next year) on a weekend paddle & camp somewhere interesting. I'm a very competent canoeist (yes, I know the difference) and would like a 2-3 day trip with mild paddling and somewhere interesting to stay. Although my son hasn't done any canoeing, he has done kayaking and is fairly proficient so I'm sure he can handle a couple of days with a single blade..

Ideally looking for ideas in NW / NE England, Southern Scotland as that reduces travel time - don't mind staying at 'proper' camp-sites but really want to get the truly wild experience if we can. At the minute, is likely to be just us but a couple of friends have said they may be interested as well.

Target / aims
- paddle max 10 miles per day (15 on moving water) and experience outdoorsy stuff (horrible phrase but hopefully you know what I mean)
- having fun
- cooking & eating in minimalistic style
- having fun
- getting the chance to try BC activities
- having fun

You might notice a thread here but I want my son to really enjoy it - he does enjoy outdoors stuff / Scouts / etc but would really like him to appreciate 'the real outdoors'.

TIA

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Scotland is probably your best bet, Loch Ken or Loch Lomond. If that's too far to go then the Lake District is a close second.
Derwent water is great for wild camping as there are some good sized islands although the lake itself is a bit small. Watch out for the warden if you go at a busy time.
Coniston Water is a bigger lake but you have to be a bit more picky as to where you camp. Again keep an eye out for the warden and prepare to be polite and persuasive.
I'm on my phone so can't post links but if you check my started threads I've done blogs for both those lakes in the last year or so.

Maxip

Forager
Dec 2, 2011
Cumbria, UK
Thanks Prawnster - as we like in the Lake District, I was looking to go somewhere different. However, will have a think about Windemere if I can find suitable 'camping' location - Derwent water is a bit small and have paddled on it several times.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
You will struggle on Windermere to get a "wild experience".There is barely an accessible square foot that is not accounted for!
I also have a 12-year old into Scouts/bushcraft and fancy the same thing with our Canadian next year.We have a Grumman so
tend to avoid the very cold water time as it gets freezing in no time.
I'll keep an eye on this thread and post when we have firm plans.
At the moment we fancy Loch Lomond whilst the midges are hibernating!
Cheers , Simon

Maxip

Forager
Dec 2, 2011
Cumbria, UK
Just read Prawnster's post about a similar trip on Coniston - looks exactly what I'm thinking off. Can you tell me the co-ordinates of where you camped rather than going somewhere I shouldn't !

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
You could try the Dee from the border of wales uk into chester... not fast flowing but plenty of miles to navigate.

Or further down is the Wye, altough i dont have any personal experience of this one yet...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE