E-readers... Kobo v Kindle v Nook

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
A tablet is good, and I'd love one. But not for books. Backlit screens mean the battery life is tiny in comparison and the text is much easier to read with an e-ink screen. Less eyestrain and longer service. I have my phone for all the other stuff - it has a kindle app too, but the battery life is severely shortened if you read much. I used my Kobo every day for 2 weeks before having to charge it, and I'm a big reader :)

thanks for mentioning that i wasnt aware of the different screens im clueless with some technology. thinking about getting a tablet so i have a portable digital portfolio and way to take orders but i also want to use it as an ebook. is the difference really that big from an ereader like the kobo? i thought the new kindle fire looked like a good combination of them both but it doesnt mention having an e-ink screen and after reading the issues with amazon here im not too sure!

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
One other thing, I have some really old books (1800s, early 1900s which I like to collect) and as you can guess the more you look at them/open them etc the more wear goes through them so I have some of them on my Kindle as well. That way the wear will be minimised and preserves the books for a bit longer.

Yes, neat idea. Agree about battery life, Indoors, it's almost sold me on the idea :)

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I must admit I have had a kindle keyboard, kindle 4 and kindle touch (same kit junky habits I have with my bushcraft gear) and have found all of them great, battery life superb (about a month with daily use) and I have around 250 currently on mine with room for more!
I avoided the new paperwhite version as the backlit screen is likely to strain the eyes as mentioned previously.
For the same reason, and I would imagine a much reduced battery life, I have not got the new kindle fire, it seems great as a media tablet but like to keep mine solely for books.

On a side note there are other places ebooks can be purchased or obtained in various formats so you don't have to buy direct from amazon - free software on the web will also convert any books/documents to kindle format.

Hamster

ED-E

May 22, 2012
Germany
I must admit I have had a kindle keyboard, kindle 4 and kindle touch (same kit junky habits I have with my bushcraft gear) and have found all of them great, battery life superb (about a month with daily use) and I have around 250 currently on mine with room for more!
I avoided the new paperwhite version as the backlit screen is likely to strain the eyes as mentioned previously.
For the same reason, and I would imagine a much reduced battery life, I have not got the new kindle fire, it seems great as a media tablet but like to keep mine solely for books.

On a side note there are other places ebooks can be purchased or obtained in various formats so you don't have to buy direct from amazon - free software on the web will also convert any books/documents to kindle format.

Hamster
Same here. I had the Kindle Keyboard. Now I have the Kindle 4NT, don't think the Paperwhite is the better choice.. it's not a backlight but the LEDs under the frame.. they always remain on when the device is on. Imho the Kindle is one of the best E-Readers out there.. That's.. kind of sad. I hope there's a Solar and/or Battery (like the textr beagle) powered E-Reader with E-Ink display available in the near future.

I never bought one single ebook at the Kindle Store. I converted my already bought epubs and sent them to my kindle with the calibre E-Book Management software. (Free)

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I will throw another one into the mix if it hasn't already been done, the txtr is worth considering, I am not 100% sure when it's meant to be out as it was going to be out for Christmas but guess they missed it, It's should be on the market for £10 - £20 from what I have read. But this is only worth considering if your not in a rush to get a e-reader.

us.txtr.com/beagle/

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do own the books I buy....and I can resell them. I can also resell software and DVDs. Its a very different animal with the Kindle. Not for me having already been ripped off by Amazon.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I bought my missus a Kobo a few months back but a lot of the Ebooks she likes are dearer than the paperbacks from Asda. :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE