Dyneema ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dippa

Mar 10, 2016
Birmingham
I'm trying to change my tarps ridgeline and guy lines from paracord to something better.

I keep reading people are using dyneema but I'm completely lost lol

Please correct me if this is wrong but I'm guessing dyneema isn't the cord, just the mechanics that goes into it ?

So all these cords people use, SK78, zing-it, lash-it, stein skyline, throw line and so on are just like brands ?

If not then I'm completely confused lol

What can people recommend from here, which will easily tie knots and won't get tangled too easily

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Dyneema is the cord and zing-it ect are brand names.

It is better than paracord but it doesnt like knots too much so we generally use various doodads and hardware instead of knotting......now you are really going down the rabbit hole of hammocking lol

Check dutwaregear.com if you really want to get confused

Tarp flyz for the ridgelines, tarp fleaz on the corners and 1.8mm dyneema are about the most popular/easiest to use

Last edited:

Dippa

Mar 10, 2016
Birmingham
Thanks sunndog, that's explained a lot :)

I think I'm already half way down this rabbit hole lol I'll defo go check that site, see how I get on.

Any suggestions where to get some olive green 1.8mm dyneema ?

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Never seen any in olive that i can remember. Its usually pretty colourful stuff, you might get a bright green or maybe blue

I use arborist throwline cos i buy that anyway

Another option though might be 2mm double braid dyneema. All the advantages of single braid (zing-it) except its a little heavier, but it takes knots better

Last edited:

Dippa

Mar 10, 2016
Birmingham
Never seen any in olive that i can remember. Its usually pretty colourful stuff, you might get a bright green or maybe blue

I use arborist throwline cos i buy that anyway

Another option though might be 2mm double braid dyneema. All the advantages of single braid (zing-it) except its a little heavier, but it takes knots better

Thanksmate, seems to be plenty of options out there :)

Do you happen to have a link to where you buy yours if you don't mind sharing ?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah any arb place will have it

F.r jones

Honey bros

Buxtons

The last time i got some double braid it was from backpackinglight.com

English braids will likely have double braid too

One thing to note is if you fancy any dutchware then 1.8mm does work best with it

Dippa

Mar 10, 2016
Birmingham
Ah that explains the English braids I keep coming across.

Thanks a lot Sunndog, you've been a great help here mate! I will trial a few and see what works for me :)

Is amsteel any good or is this overkill ?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Overkill for a tarp really dude. Although one school of thought is to use an amsteel continuous ridgeline in the hope it will take some of the impact force out of any branches falling on you

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It's more for sailing yachts tbh , high end rope.
You cert do not need it for camping / bushcraft...

I'd agree. I use 3mm paracord for the ridge, tied very tight and running under the tarp. Prussics on the ends for tightening. and 1.5mm bright reflective for tie outs. I've got about 25 feet of Dyneema still unused due to it not taking a knot very well.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The main reasons dyneema is prefered over paracord is strength to weight/bulk ratio. 1.5mm is almost as strong as genuine 550 paracord (prolly stronger after you've knotted the paracord)
Another very practical reason for using dyneema is its low stretch value. When using ultralight tarps made of silnylon thats stretch when they get wet you don't need super stretchy paracord making the situation worse. Dyneema is also far less absorbant than paracord

In another thread the op tells us weight is extremely important to him. To save weight you often have to go up a few tiers in what materials you use

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE