Dyneema tarp ridgeline

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Anyone using dyneema instead of parachord for a ridgeline?

Wondering what diameter line you use?

Prussick knots with same diameter line too?
Yes I use 3mm dyneema and haven’t broken it yet, I use Prussics if the same diameter cord but find they can slip if I use less than about 5 turns (so I just use more turns) interestingly it grips better after the line is ‘used’ and weathered a bit - I don’t know if there is a preservative that wears off, or a coating perhaps

I don’t always use prussics though - I have some ‘alien’ loop things I use aswell.

I have 5mm dyneema to, I might try that for some prussic

The reason I got dyneema is so I can carry almost double the length of line for the same amount of space (roughly)

I think 3mm dyneema has a breaking strain of 120kg or something which is plenty for a ridgeline (how I pitch anyway)

Reactions: Paulm

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Like Mr Ed said really, 3mm dyneema or sometimes 2mm, either are much less bulky than paracord, stretch less and don't absorb water, much better suited to the job. Likewise on prussiks, an extra turn or two gives them more friction area to overcome the slightly slippery surface coating.

I've settled on this stuff but different brands available https://jimmygreen.com/marlow-excel...els?search_query=marlow+excel+pro&results=832

2mm is good for guy lines too.

Reactions: MrEd

Michael White

Oct 15, 2018
Consett, Co Durham
I use a lashit/zingit ridgeline from Henge Hammocks. Has a titanium hook at one end and a Dutch Wasp at the other. Also i have 2 Nama Claws to attach to the tarp using a dyneema loop. Very light, no knotts and very quick to set up and adjust.

Reactions: Madriverrob

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
As dyneema does not stretch, you can bury loops in at fixed points to attach 'binners to. tarp is in the right place each time!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Double braid dyneema is far better than single braid for a ridgline and gripping Prussiks imo.
I've been using double braid on my winter tarp for years now

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I use a lashit/zingit ridgeline from Henge Hammocks. Has a titanium hook at one end and a Dutch Wasp at the other. Also i have 2 Nama Claws to attach to the tarp using a dyneema loop. Very light, no knotts and very quick to set up and adjust.

Can you post pics? I have e looked at these but wasn’t sure if they would work/how they work/are they worth it?

I use 2 x small shackle things 2 x prussics and the ridgeline and a seperate dyneema loop for one end of the ridgeline. Would be great to slim all that down further

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Dutch wasp is pretty good. It works like his tarpflyz but designed to move along the ridge line.
There's a million vids on YouTube. Probably links from the product page on dutchware website

I've got one but stopped using it in favour of loop aliens

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Can you post pics? I have e looked at these but wasn’t sure if they would work/how they work/are they worth it?

I use 2 x small shackle things 2 x prussics and the ridgeline and a seperate dyneema loop for one end of the ridgeline. Would be great to slim all that down further

Here you go from the owner himself:

I use the stingerz on my tarp, clipped to the tie out points so no actual ridgeline needed.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
For my tarp ridge line I use some pink dyneema with a loop alien to secure round the first tree then a itze figure nine to tension round the second tree.

I also have a number of prussiks permenantley on the ridge line, two of which are used to string up my tarp.

My tarp is kept in snake skins with crabs on each end, and is hung below the ridge line.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
For my tarp ridge line I use some pink dyneema with a loop alien to secure round the first tree then a itze figure nine to tension round the second tree.

I also have a number of prussiks permenantley on the ridge line, two of which are used to string up my tarp.

My tarp is kept in snake skins with crabs on each end, and is hung below the ridge line.

what do you use to attach your prussics to the tarp?

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I have a couple of cheap non load bearing carabiniers which I leave on the tarp end loops. Easy to clip to the prussic

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I think I am going to revisit my ridgeline.

I like the look of the figure 9, will give it some thought and try stuff out at the weekend but I definitely think I can simplify my setup.

I stainless welded ring, 1 x figure 9, 2 x prussics and 2 x lightweight alloy mini carabiners (what about nite ize S biners?) and the dyneema cord will be a simple setup.

I use the dyneema and plastic lightweight cord locks for my guylines.

This thread has been good, sorry for the hijack though!

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My guylines are Marlow throwline [in bright orange] wooden toggle on one end and a loop on the other [figure eight knot], maybe 4m long [not measured them] put the toggle through the loop on the tarp, use the loop at the end to peg down. If needed a shorter guy length just marline spike the peg a suitable distance along the guyline. If needed longer guy lines extra [I have one at each tarp corner and carry an additional four guys] ones can be toggled to the loop on the previous one to make an 8m guy.

I've never really found the need to use bungie cord.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I bought some ZingIt for use as a ridge line. I like the light weight, compared to the 3mm Excel Pro 16-plait polyester line that I have used, but I do not like how fussy the ZingIt is for attaching and tensioning. I don't (yet) have any Dutchware tensioning hardware and have used a combination of prussics and little carabiners for both attachment and tension. However, this is no where near as quick or easy as a simple trucker's hitch and quick release tension hitches which hold and work fine on the 3mm line, but not at all on the smooth ZingIt.

For guy lines I have come around to Marlow orange throw line. Same stuff as Excel Pro, but in a bigger spool, for less money. It is Polyester.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE