Dynamo Radio

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cooper90

Hi
Has anyone got a Solar radio they could reccomend, i have a cheap one, the main problem with it is, if your batteries run out you can use the dynamo but if you charge it for say two minutes then you will probably only get about 4 minutes of life out of it and then you have to charge it again...

Help!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Hi
Has anyone got a Solar radio they could reccomend, i have a cheap one, the main problem with it is, if your batteries run out you can use the dynamo but if you charge it for say two minutes then you will probably only get about 4 minutes of life out of it and then you have to charge it again...

Help!

The SolarDAB is fantastic..but not cheap. No wind up but goes for 27hrs on a solar charge.

Info here
http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Products/DAB_radios/solarDAB/index.htm

Amazon have them
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...=aps&hvadid=3122839316&ref=pd_sl_6bly8hg2hq_e

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Perhaps these, may be suitable.

Solar and hand cranked.

PLAY TIME (will vary depending on volume setting)
Fully Charged Battery
25 hours at normal volume
30-second wind for 30 minutes at normal volume
Integrated flashlight - Ultra bright 5mm white LED

eyemax_black_large.jpg

This model has a mini USB cable for phone charging, and a more powerful LED. The phone charger works from hand cranking.

companion_black_large.jpg

P

Pcwizme

For me it would be my Freeplay radio, the origanal one invented was originally invented by Trevor Baylis, and i got mine back in 2004 or something and have used it once a month ish since then, and i have no problems with it at all, so all in all i can say,

Go Freeplay!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Try the Kaito KA009. We used to hand them out in Afghan to the locals so they could listen to the radio stations the local government had set up. They worked off mains, batteries, dynamo or solar. Solar generally only worked when using headphones though. I still have mine - very good little radio.

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
I've got the second one pictured above in helixpteron's reply and it's pretty good. If you want you can keep winding and it just keeps on storing the charge for longer playback. As he's pointed out it has a USB port from which you can charge lots of other things like phones - I haven't had to yet, but it's nice to know I'd be able to charge my phone to make a call or SMS if I had to. And it has a half decent LED torch too!

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I had a Freeplay that I borrowed off of a relative for a while and it was great. Supposedly, they are highly rated and were built for use in primitive areas, and consequently are "overbuilt" somewhat.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
My freeplay was bought back in ?1999 and its going fine, gets used every day. Its one of the big clunky black ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE