Dying Leather

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Help, I've been making a few Moleskine notebook covers and dying them with Fieblings dye but when I've been applying the dye it's been leaving streaks on the leather. I've been using the little applicator that comes with it, any idea how to improve my technique?

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I find its best to dilute the dye with meths (denatured alohol) to get a more even application and I use a cloth dipped in the dye but wear dispoable latex gloves. It takes more applications to get to the desired colour but its much more even

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
If you want to dye the leather evenly, you have to apply the dye a few times to saturate the colour. Wetting the leather helps as well. If you want a light tone, then dilute the dye and apply a few times.

The easiest way to get an even tone is to spray it on with an airbrush.

singteck

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I find its best to dilute the dye with meths (denatured alohol) to get a more even application and I use a cloth dipped in the dye but wear dispoable latex gloves. It takes more applications to get to the desired colour but its much more even

Is that standard meths (i.e. the coloured meths that you get from hardware shops)? Or can you get a clear variant?

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE