dying leather and sheath making

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
HI all

I'm trying my hand at making a leather sheath for the first time and have bought some bits in to do it. The leather I've bought is very light, much lighter than I'd thought it would be, so have got some dye to use on it. But I was wondering when is the best time to dye the leather, before or after construction? And what is the best method of applying the dye.

If it all goes well, I'll post some pictures!

Cheers

Jack

I

ian2000

wood die dark oak put it on with a rag and it will get darker gives a nice fin all the best

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I tend to dye post construction unless I want to use a contrasting thread then I'll dye first and then sew it up. Probably most common is a 'wool dauber' but a piece of cotton fabric held with a peg works well. I have used a soft brush to get into difficult areas and cotton buds in the past. If you want to go really hi tech you can spray it on with a airbrush....

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I agree. For a sheath, post construction and a felt dabber. For larger projects like bags, pre construction is sometimes better. Applying dye to large pieces works best for me with a six inch piece of woolen pre-felt sheet and a disposble rubber glove to protect fingers. I dampen the leather then apply the dye in swift broad strokes. This covers quickly and the pre dampening helps avoid edge streaks on the leather.

Eric

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I dilute my dye with meths and use a rag but always wear disposable latex gloves to prevent dying my hands.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
OK, this is all good. Constructed the sheath last night, but didn't go quite as expected. But I know where I went wrong, so tonight we start again. Good job I bought a large bit of leather.

After all, without mistakes, what do we really learn.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
on the bright side you have something to trial your dyeing on now ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A "mistake" is only a mistake if you repeat it...otherwise it is a "learning point" and as such a positive thing....:D
The gloves tip is a good one - if you are a cheapskate the thin poly bags you get fruit and veg in at the supermarket are just as good....and great recycling!

hairyhippy

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2009
Notts
The guy in Le Prevo (a leather shop) said to me that I had to go ahead and make that first sheath. It will be a bit wobbly, but you learn soo much from it.

I am a pre construction dyer when sheath making just to add fuel to the confusion.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I do both....

I dye it when it's cut and then fold and glue it together. As the dye dries the sheath hardens to shape, I sand the edges and then groove and drill the holes (after marking wheel). I then do the edges and a last once over.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i use an air brush for some stuff, if i want a sunburst affect, i use wool to apply my dye to, and wool daubers, and mosltly dye before i sow, as i like to cover all my leather with dye, it costs more, but i think you get a more proffesional finish rather than trying to dye the back of the belt loop, or leave it with no dye at all, i think that looks terrible, if all your measurements are right, then there i not a problem with dyeing first, you get a much more even dye if you do it this way, as you not trying to dye around things, you are dyeing a flat peice of leather.
hope that helps mate.
if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
As promised here is the finished object. I'm really chuffed with how it came out, stained all the bits prior to construction but after cutting. It really sets off the knife I made great.

So a double whammy of firsts, first knife and first (completed) sheath.

Thanks for all your help guys, I enjoyed this one.

knife2.jpg

knife1.jpg

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
That is brilliant You went for it on the sheath then. Funny enough I went at it the other way round learning bit of leather work bit of carving still working up to what I see as a huge leap and making my own knife.
It must be real pleasure to use and own Well done fella
OT but did you see addos use of the squirrel skin from wild food course?

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Thanks guys.

I must admit I've played with the design a bit. Bought an old handbag to try out a few design from it. Turns out it wasn't leather and very thin, but I kinda got the feel I was after. Then got me some leather from a supplier and some dye. The first attempt fail from the word go, and I knew that I had rushed in without thinking it through. Got a couple of Mora's knocking around, so might give them a nice sheath.

As for making the knife, I got given the kit as a present, so the blade was already shaped. I just took my time over it. It's great, being left handed and having crafted it just for me, right handed people don't like holding it. Next step, make something with it. I've already started on a mushroom picking knife, now for the next sheath.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE