dyeing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i think this may have been asked before, but...

can you dye cotton gaberdine?
(i know you can dye cotton but what is gaberdine?, is it just the weave?)

also has anyone tryied to colour strip a DPM, or any other camouflage clothing? (colour strip meaning to remove the colour to the origional pre printed cotton colour).

thanks for any thoughts!

leon-1

Yep, you can dye gaberdine, the type of cotton is a higher quality and tighter weave and that's really the major difference and nope never tried to colour strip dpm.

Sounds like you are looking at dyeing an old SAS smock :-D

EdS

I tried removing the colour from a new pair of British issue combat trousers -the plan was to redye them.

Firstly soaked in hot water plus bleach -nothing doing. Them boiled with bleach, still nothing. Finally I "aquirred" some NaOHCl powder from work still no loss of colour.

If anyone can find a way of removing the dye can you let us know - I personally love the pants but hate DPM.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
There's a very good chance that by the time you get the color out they will be destroyed, especially using Sodium Hypochlorite . Gary over at Bearclaw (http://www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk) sells the green lightweights. Easier and cheaper!!!

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Have any of you ever had a go at dyeing the green army lightweights? I’ve pondered about having a go at dyeing a pair brown in order to get more away from the military look.

ranger

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Why not just get some reggatta or similar action trousers in the colour of your choice? They aren't that expensive if you shop around, I got mine (in green cos thats my colour) for about £12. Plenty of pockets and not been "run in" by a squaddie.

Dave

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
Pick a colour that is darker than, or as dark as the darkest shade on the garment (for Std DPM I use black or Dylon Bottle Green) and set to. For brown ist best to use desert DPM as a base I've had good results with a gaberdeen SAS smock in desert DPM.

Cheers

Shaun

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE