Dyeing Wool

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I have a great wool shirt but I am not mad keen on the colour. At the moment it is a beige/fawn light brownish colour. I need some advice.

1) What would be the procedure for permanently changing the colour.

2) Can anyone recommend a product or material, that they have used with success, that will change the colour to green or even a darker brown?

Thanks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Any Acid dye will work on wool.
The simplest way is to buy a Dylon one meant for wool..........check, they don't all work on it. Make sure you thoroughly wash out all dirt and conditioner and oils before you try dyeing it though.
If the shirt is sewn with thread that isn't wool it will dye differentially regardless of which method you use.

Naturally dyeing it means it would need to be washed, and then mordanted and then dyed. At this time of year you'd struggle to find a good natural dye to collect unless you were prepared to debark a fair amount of oak or gather crottle.
Dyestuffs and mordants can be bought however :)

The other way of acquiring an acid dye is to contact Kemtex.co.uk (phone's usually best I find) and buy from them.

Best of luck with it
Toddy

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have used dylon hand dye. Following the instructions it takes alot of vinegar to wet a wool garment for dying, and big container. I have dyed wool with retted hawthorn fruit(no mordant). I preped would looked like a large amount, but is wasn't enough to give an even dye. It wasn't a very nice colour, but it is colour fast.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is the shirt machine washable ?
If it is an all in one machine dye suitable for wool will save you an awful lot of bother.
Just make sure that the dye is intended for wool.

atb,
Toddy

p.s. it won't damage the washing machine, you just do an empty hot wash and it cleans itself afterwards,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE