Dyeing wool properly.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Hey.
I've some scandi wool garments that I want to dye, namely Norwegian and Finnish army surplus, trousers and jacket.
From what I've gathered so far, using a hand dye is the way to go. They'll be going from the grey, to black.
Has anyone else had success with these good quality garments and dyeing?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I dyed a pair of Danish ladies surplus wool trousers. It worked very well indeed. Looked 'right', if I make myself clear.

Sometimes surplus kit ends up with waterproofing on it just from contact with other garments. Greenland wax, dubbin, boot leather grease, that kind of thing.....clean carefully and thoroughly before you dye. Even brand new garments sometimes have the oil from the sewing machines or the mothproofing on them. It needs removed beforehand. If you don't have a wool detergent, mind that shampoo will work fine for it, just plain shampoo, not the two in one with conditioner added.

Make sure you have the wool absolutely sodden wet before you try adding it to the dye liquor. If you don't the take up of colour will be patchy. Also, be patient, give it time, stir it often, use as big a container as you can find, I use a clean black bin, and mind and not thermal shock the wool. Don't go from hot into cold or vice versa when washing and rinsing.

It sounds like a lot of fuss and bother, but it's just taking it step by step and making sure that you've prepped properly for the best result.

Best of luck with it :)

M

Reactions: quietone

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I dyed a pair of Danish ladies surplus wool trousers. It worked very well indeed. Looked 'right', if I make myself clear.

Sometimes surplus kit ends up with waterproofing on it just from contact with other garments. Greenland wax, dubbin, boot leather grease, that kind of thing.....clean carefully and thoroughly before you dye. Even brand new garments sometimes have the oil from the sewing machines or the mothproofing on them. It needs removed beforehand. If you don't have a wool detergent, mind that shampoo will work fine for it, just plain shampoo, not the two in one with conditioner added.

Make sure you have the wool absolutely sodden wet before you try adding it to the dye liquor. If you don't the take up of colour will be patchy. Also, be patient, give it time, stir it often, use as big a container as you can find, I use a clean black bin, and mind and not thermal shock the wool. Don't go from hot into cold or vice versa when washing and rinsing.

It sounds like a lot of fuss and bother, but it's just taking it step by step and making sure that you've prepped properly for the best result.

Best of luck with it :)

M
Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I will more than likely come back to you for more wisdom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE