Dyeing a windproof smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
If you search the forum I'm pretty certain there's a couple of threads on this subject, I'm sure there's some pictures as well. :)

Trod

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2011
Wigan
Thanks , I was thinking the desert camo as people on a recent thread had mentioned dyeing them brown

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
I dyed a swedish snow smock green and was quite please with the result. Used a standard fabric dye that you add salt to in the washing machine. Came out even with no patchy bits. hope this helps.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
The Swedish smock is 100% cotton and will take dylon dyes easily. The British Army smocks are poly cotton mix; they don't dye as well. The cotton part takes but the polyester doesn't. I have used dylon on my desert smock. Its not too bad but I am going to use a polyester brown dye as well.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
A mix of idye and idye poly works okay, however it needs to be done using the stove top method rather than using a washing machine.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I dyed a swedish snow smock green and was quite please with the result. Used a standard fabric dye that you add salt to in the washing machine. Came out even with no patchy bits. hope this helps.

Did the same with the cold water dye and worked well. Bit patchy compared to the washing machine method but not so you'd notice when out in the woods.

Trod

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2011
Wigan
Also what's the sizing like ? I'm 5,8 tall and 43 chest , do they come up large/long ? Cheers

Trod

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2011
Wigan
Oops just had an impetuous moment an put a bid on fleabay on a 180/96 ! I'm only just a 43 chest ,more like a 42 and am loosing weight at the moment ! I read they are very roomy , hope it fits ( if I win it )

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
One thing to be aware of when dying anything is that not all components will necessarily take the dye. I have a very usable in-the-field pair of now green Ralph Lauren cargos but with funky pale yellow stitching!

Trod

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2011
Wigan
Well won it on fleabay ! Says never used windproof desert smock 180/96 size,paid £9 and free postage , just hope it fits ! Thanks for the advice y'all

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE