dyeing a duffle coat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

deepforest2501

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2007
Northern Ireland
I have a duffle coat which is 80% wool. I would like to deepen the colour from sand to dark brown using dylon. However, the label says dry clean only. Wool should dye shouldn't it? Surely if I just immerse it in a solution of hand wash dylon that would do the trick. Anyone have any experience with doing this?

keith2616

Dec 16, 2009
Scotland
I was once given a pillar-box red duffel coat (a Ralph Lauren one even :)) and it was 80% wool. I thought if I ever wore it and yawned in the street, someone would be liable to
stick a letter in my gob, so I decided to darken it. I used a couple of packets of black Dylon and a bunch of salt, i.e. following the instructions on the Dylon box. I think I
probably used more dye and a longer soak than was strictly required, but no harm done. Also, I did it in my kitchen bin since I didn't have anything else large enough whose colour
I was prepared to risk changing... So the very red jacket came out a nice imperial purple colour, not the blacker-than-the-iniside-of-Darth-Vader's-helmet I was hoping for. The
dying looked a bit patchy at first when the thing was still wet, but after a prolongued bout of rinsing, I realised the colour was actually very even.
So I now have a size XXL purple Ralph Lauren Polo duffelcoat and no, I don't wear it in public, I would look ridiculous. So it sits in a cupboard. I'll wear it at home once I can't
afford to heat my house! Sorry if this post hasn't acually been encouraging - you'd probably end up with a better colour since you're starting with something sensible...

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've used dylon on wool before and never got it near as dark as what I wanted it to turn out as. That was using extra dye and following instructions and all that. Just my personal experience with dying wool, either I'm pants at it or it's just pants full stop. Maybe you could sell it on ebay and buy the colour you're after?

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
Time to help out! Our family company sells dyes (some go to dylon!). Its almost impossible as do dye wool you need to dye it at the Boil. So washing machines dont get hot enough.

Then assuming you can get temperature, you run high risk of shrinkage which then misshapes the garment!

Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE