Dye and antler question

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Quick question for those in the know. How is alcohol leather dye on (dark black /brown) on white fine sanded red deer horn?
Does it stain it or will it not sink in?

I dont have a bit to try a test only the bits that are on the bow :(

opinions please

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
not sure, try a bow making forum and tape up with electrical tape to make it waterproof/dye proof anyway.....

not much use but hey.......

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I believe that the alcohol leather dye works fine on bone and antler, but, it has to be really, really clean first. Boiled even.

If you scrub the bone/ antler and wash in biological washing liquid that ought to shift any gunk.

If you use Acid or reactive dyes (sometimes available for microwave dyeing for felt) then they should work too.

Might be worth looking up dyeing wood, antler and bone buttons since those are more commonly coloured.

Surely we can find you some antler to have a try on first ? I've got some buried under a pile of stuff in one of the sheds if no one else volunteers soonish.

cheers,
Toddy

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks for the info all. I decided just to give it a bash this morning, with having a little boy to look after i have to seize the opportunity to play when he sleeps.
It has darkended the antler (which was saneded to shape so should be clean) it has also picked out the grain? a little which is nice. The stain was at first a black leather dye and then a brown/rosewood wood dye which also has darkened it a little.

Just have to finish the finish, make a handle and i will post some picutres up so we have a record :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That sounds excellent :cool:
I did some reading after posting last night and the gist of it was that the dye is actually dyeing the protein lattice not the mineral, calcium, of the antler. That's why the acid dyes work well. Anything that effectively dyes wool and leather should dye the antler too. Thing is that generally dyes need mordants to help fix them effectively, so not all plant dyes will work very well.
Ready made leather dye should be just the thing :)

Look forward to the photos :D

cheers,
M

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That sounds excellent :cool:
I did some reading after posting last night and the gist of it was that the dye is actually dyeing the protein lattice not the mineral, calcium, of the antler. That's why the acid dyes work well. Anything that effectively dyes wool and leather should dye the antler too. Thing is that generally dyes need mordants to help fix them effectively, so not all plant dyes will work very well.
Ready made leather dye should be just the thing :)

Look forward to the photos :D

cheers,
M

I promise i will get some better shots of the nock but for now there is one on my other post. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74412 it did dye the antler even if the picture doesnt do it justice at the min,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE