Dwarf reedmace - edible ??

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi guys im calling upon you for help again :rolleyes:, well i bought some dwarf reed mace - Typha minima for my pond and was wondering if the root is edible like in the normall ones :confused:
thanks leon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't know, but the plant I bought for my pond three years ago has gone nuclear this Spring, and is now nearly four feet high and has filled out quite considerably. If it is edible then it neatly tidies up my qualms about redding it out a bit, I was going to use some of the stalks for basketry too.

Cheers,
Toddy

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
basketry sounds cool, even if the roots is edible they will need to grow a bit before i can eat them
leon

xylaria

For the arial part, the solid bit of the stalk at the bottom of the plant that looks like a trimmed leek can be eaten as well. If you can't weave with it you can eat.

Does anyone else think that the root is more tasty in the winter than the summer?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Does anyone else think that the root is more tasty in the winter than the summer?

I reckon its bound to be....By the time you have broken through the ice, turned your hands and arms blue with cold and filled a welly up with icy water, they are definetly going to taste better....:D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
some more questions :D
are there any parts of the plant that can not be eaten ?
what can be eaten raw ?
leon

xylaria

I reckon its bound to be....By the time you have broken through the ice, turned your hands and arms blue with cold and filled a welly up with icy water, they are definetly going to taste better....:D

:lmao:
I use a walking stick :nana: you prod around the root to loosen the mud then hook under used the handle then pull, you don't that wet. And I don't need wellies.

It is just I have noticed I could get enough starch out in the winter to make cookies and now a if i do the same process I get vertually nothing.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Kind of makes sense since the aerial parts die off and the roots are used to store the energy to grow again next year.
Are they stringy like the greater reedmace can be?

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

Kind of makes sense since the aerial parts die off and the roots are used to store the energy to grow again next year.
Are they stringy like the greater reedmace can be?

cheers,
Toddy
I have never eaten a typha minima, but any of typha I have ate have been pretty much stringy, but there some variation in taste but now I am eating it regularly I am beginning to wonder if that is seasonal not variety.

If anyone is worried about trying a new variety I will volunteer to be the lab rat:approve: . Typhas dont make any toxins but I always cook water plants to kill off water borne pathogens. I am utterly certian that minima are fine.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok so i just boil them up ?
i might go into the pond and get one tommorow, they are in a pot at the moment with soil
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE