Dutch Ovens - Where to buy from?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Hi all,

What are Ronnie Sunshines DOs like?

http://www.dutchovens.co.uk/dutch-oven-8ltr.html

I'm looking into getting some for my explorer scouts, and the price difference between Tamarack's and Ronnie Sunshines is huge, so is the quality standard as big a gap too?

Tamarack 8 Qrt, 30.4cm x 12.5cm is £120 - Ronnie Sunshines 29cm x 13cm is £37.00....

I'd appreciate your thoughts...

Rob

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I bought mine of the bay... It worked out 20% cheaper than Ronnie Sunshines, and was identical other than the branding.

It will, no doubt outlive me.

al.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I live 20 minutes away from Ronnies so was able to get a set of dutch ovens. I have two 4 litre pots, one has the Ronnie logo and the other doesn't as I bought them at different times, one fry pan and the skillet tray along with the tripod hanger.

They seem fine but I have nothing to compare them to and they have fed many hungry mouths. I will say one of my pots did not have the divot in the handle and I had to bend one in so it hangs snug over the fire. I would get one that does have this small feature as after I bent the handle it doesn't quite fold down without catching against the pot's rim.

I will probably get the 8 litre version at some point so as to be able to do a big roast joint but maybe next year?

Steve.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Thanks all,

I'll give them Ronnie S a call later, I need to fuind out if they'll take charity cheques. That way I can pay for them from the unit account directly, which is a lot easier.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...I will say one of my pots did not have the divot in the handle and I had to bend one in so it hangs snug over the fire. I would get one that does have this small feature as after I bent the handle it doesn't quite fold down without catching against the pot's rim...

I see a lot of people posting about hanging their dutch ovens over the fire. Doesn't anyone there use the legs and place their dutch ovens directly onto the coals?

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London

markphelan

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham UK
My kit from Ronnie's doesn't get a massive ammount of use, but the occasions I have used it on the fire it's been pretty good. Agree with the comments about re-seasoning, but for the money it seems OK. It's handy to get the crate as part of the kit (pot + pan + griddle) though the first one I was sent didn't survive the courier so I would'nt think it's up to too much punishment!
I've had all the equipment straight on the fire and no issues with any of it to date.

I see a lot of people posting about hanging their dutch ovens over the fire. Doesn't anyone there use the legs and place their dutch ovens directly onto the coals?

It depends what you're cooking really. If you just want to simmer it then hanging is the better option - straight on to coals will more than likely burn the contents and it'll stick to the pan. If I'm not able to hang it then I'll put the pot to the side of the fire and rotate it occasionally.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...It depends what you're cooking really. If you just want to simmer it then hanging is the better option - straight on to coals will more than likely burn the contents and it'll stick to the pan. If I'm not able to hang it then I'll put the pot to the side of the fire and rotate it occasionally.

I've not had problems with sticking as long as the DO was properly seasoned. The reason I asked is because I was always taught (and have always practiced) straight onto the coals. Heat regulation was always accomplished by the amount of coals. Certainly an inexact science until after lots and lots of practice. I'm still working on it; have to start over whenever I try a new recipe.

What I've learned from youtube tutorials and practice though is that a DO really excels at foods/recipes that cook at standard oven temps of 350F.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE