Dutch M90 - Aircrew Sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Hi guys, I know there has been a lot of posts around about the full size M90 bag and I took people's opinions on board about its bulk and tried to go with the happy medium and found the Aircrew version. It packs down smaller than the full version and is advertised as a warm 3 season bag.

So far I've slept in it just in boxers down to just below freezing point and was relatively comfortable apart from the odd draft of cold air generated by changing sleep positions. Next time I'd wear clothes I think and it would probably suffice for around -3 sort of temperature but I'm just interested to know if anyone else has used the bag to its limits? There is very little information to be found on its ratings so I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences with theirs although I understand people's susceptibility to the cold will vary slightly.

Just to add my bag was open to the outside temperature, no bivi, just under a Tarp and on top of a Czech bedroll.

Cheers,

Dave

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I've no experience of this bag, but I would appreciate it if you could supply some details i.e. What is its open size, pack size, its weight, material on the inside and a couple of photos if you could.

Thanks.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
This is the bag with a bivi bag and liner compressed. It's a beast. It would easy fill a Bergan when compressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Umm I am 6 foot and have loads of room in it. I think you would lose out on its insulation properties if your a small person and end up cold. If he/her is carrying it they may struggle with the bag and a pack.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I would say she could carry it but not a pack as well. Put it this way I am a fit 29 year old and it's a struggle with a full pack and the bag. I would spend some money and buy a down bag that compacts down.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I did see that Cliff, but it doesn't mention pack size or weight. I'm confused with some of the answers as I'm not sure if people are inadvertently talking about the normal m90 sleeping bag, or is that just even bulkier?

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
How about laid out with something to use as reference point and it compressed, again with a reference point. How do you find it to the sleeping bag you used before and what was that. Just general points really as I know everyone sleeps differently.

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Ok, may have possibly gone a little overkill with the pictures but hopefully this gives you a good idea badger.....

Heres a pic of it on top of my czech bedroll. The bedroll is well know for fitting the larger specimens among us and you can see the bag is very similar in size at its widest and longest points. Looks like a winner for taller or wider set fellas.

I measured the bag and length was around 6ft 4" and width at the widest point around 2ft 3".

This hopefully gives some indication of the lining. The overall bag traps air quite well I think for something that is full of man made fibres. The zip gets really well insulated on both sides too. You have the velcro layered lining on the inside of the zip and then a really thick section that covers the outside of the zip. Slightly closer view:

Close up of the head cover with draw cord. Fairly standard set up really and closes over the face almost completely if you can bare it. Only thing which would have been a nice addition would be a shoulder baffle as any cold air that gets in to the face opening can make its way in to the bag.

These toggles are all the way down both sides of the bag. To button in to a bivi perhaps?

This isn't a standard feature :rolleyes:

An idea I got from Harvestman and a very good one at that. Means there's always a source of light at hand when in the bag. Can get pretty difficult fumbling around for a torch in the darkness.

Here's the compression sack it will go in to, borrowed from Harvestman as I didn't know what size I needed. This one is a 20L which is about perfect for getting the bag in without a fight.

All packed down. For a point of reference, I placed it next to an old washing up bowl now used for storing/drying my kindling. You'll have to ignore the bag not being properly closed at the top. The velcro doesn't hold up well so I'll probably go for one of the army type compression bags where there is a seperate "lid" that covers the opening and gets pulled in by the compression straps. I think it makes the chance of anything damp getting at the bag while packed much less likely.

For reference the bowl is 10L and the bag will go inside but just pokes out a bit depth wise. At a guess then, packed down you're looking at around 12 litres give or take?

Seems reasonable enough to me for a £30 bag but I'll say now its my first (what I'd call) proper sleeping bag. No doubt there are much better ones out there but can they be bought for £30 or less? I don't know.

As said in my earlier post, the night I went out was forecast to drop to -3. There was thick ice around a cm thick on puddles we passed on the outskirts of the wood the following morning. Granted that my tarp which was pegged to the ground in an apex design with an opening each end, pitched under some dense trees may have caused a slightly warmer micro climate for me but I think its safe to say it was at least 0 degrees where I slept in just boxers inside this bag on top of the bedroll. I'd say in this state I was at the upper end of the bags comfort rating. I wasn't cold or shivering but come the dawn I did chuck a Tshirt and fleece on. I should also mention I did have a silk liner inside the sleeping bag.

Final comparison with the only other bag I own, a Tesco summer bag. It packs down very small that one but the comfort rating is at around 13 degrees so considering the extra warmth the dutch bag gives it seems like a reasonable pay off on the size front.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

Hammockarcher

Apr 26, 2013
Lancashire
Hi can I just say the sleeping bag is inside out the big baffle goes inside the sleeping back and the velcro outside.and the velcro self closes when in the bag and the hoops on the side are to tie the liner in and it looks better when right way round as you see no stiching just the rip stop material hope u dont think I am rude by telling you its inside out I to have this bag and the big m90 and there both great bags thanks

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
The long cord with the cord stoppers around the opening are meant for that you, when inside the sack, close the opening around your face as close as possible to prevent cold air entering.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Hi can I just say the sleeping bag is inside out the big baffle goes inside the sleeping back and the velcro outside.and the velcro self closes when in the bag and the hoops on the side are to tie the liner in and it looks better when right way round as you see no stiching just the rip stop material hope u dont think I am rude by telling you its inside out I to have this bag and the big m90 and there both great bags thanks
Got in there before me! I was going to say that it looks like an inside out copy of the Carinthia Defence 4 - like the dutch Fensa (i think that was the company name anyhow) copies, and to an extent, the current british modular sleep system medium weight bag. This explains your toggles question (the webbing loops stitched down the sides) - these are to afix a sleeping bag liner, issued to reduce the number of times the bags have to be washed.

Its a great design, but whilst i would presume the 'face hole' is thermally efficient, i do take some time to get used to how enclosed it makes me feel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE