Dutch army bivvy upgrade

Flecktarnmann

Sep 14, 2024
Germany
I've got a Dutch army bivvy made by FECSA that I would like to upgrade by adding a fly so that I can cook food while it's raining, however I've hit a dead end in trying to acquire the needed fabric for it.

I want it to look somewhat professional (otherwise I'll just be bothered by it constantly lol) so I'm looking for the same fabric and not just any £5 DPM rain jacket.

Does anyone here happen to have either the single or double hooped bivvy bags made by FECSA that they would like to part with for very cheap? Preferably one that's broken, because it would be a shame to cut up a perfectly intact one.

MzYhkIp.jpeg

Falstaff

Forager
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
There are a number of fabric suppliers on the market that sell this. Presumably you;ve done a search? I use a small plain green tarp and tie it to the bivvy frame & foot end for additional low cover. I can use an extra tent pole to raise it for cooking etc but have'nt tried cooking under it yet.

Billy-o

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Yes Basha - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/124940624531

I don't think you will be able to count on one bit of DPM looking the same as another. There is a fresher and duller looking pattern anyway, different manufacturers, aging, different materials etc. mean you will get more or less similar, same pattern, like, but not quite exactly the same ... so, maybe go for plain green, or red!
:)

Flecktarnmann

Sep 14, 2024
Germany
Z grade?
https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/hopped-bivvy-bag-dutch-goretex-739298.html
Reads as pretty broken down and good for nothing but fabric.
This actually seems excellent. Listing states that the fabric is grade 1, but the zippers are broken (very common issue on FECSA).

Will also give me enough fabric to extend the length of my bag, if I ever want to do that. I've been thinking about adding a third pole similarly to the Summit Microtent/Observer prototype that I also have, but for that I'd have to find a repairshop which knows what they're doing + it would add more points of failure as seams are usually the first areas where leaks start.
EpWaChq.jpeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE