Dutch Army Bivi Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

I was thinking of getting myself a Bivi bag & noticed a Dutch Army one on evilbay, does anyone have experience of them are they better or equivalent to the British Army ones, any good or bad points I should know about? The spiel on eBay touts them as being better ,but I never believe anything they say on there lol.

Tree

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
Hi I am using the gore tex version for some years now. They are great. I use them for my work in the marine corps. I can change my gear when it is broke but i have never changed my bivybag. There is a really strong zipper on it and the wholl thing is gore tex so that is a big plus.

keithg

Jun 27, 2007
Aldridge, West Midlands
Hi,
I'm a big fan of Alpkit stuff, and they sell a Hunka bivi bag for just £25 incl delivery. I've not tried one myself, but may be worth considering as it's lighter weight & cheaper/
(not connected etc. just a happy customer)

keithg

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I think that the Dutch bag has an advantage over the Brit one with regards to being easier to get in and out of, having the velcro'ed opening down the front. I have a Brit bag and have had a zipper fitted down about a third of the length from the top at the front. This has made it much easier to get in and out of, but of course has compromised the waterproofness (is there such a word?), but as I always tend to use a tarp or tent if it's wet weather it's not a problem.

I'd guess from the photo of the Dutch one on eBay that the flap over the velcro'ed opening is reasonably water resistant. Anyone out there who's actually got one care to comment?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUTCH-ARMY-GO...goryZ588QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sabre iom

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Isle of Man
I have a dutch bag and find it great to use , mine has a full length zip with a press stud flap over it. Really good with a full zip sleeping bag with a boot 'locker' bottom just jump in and sleep. Use it all year round and have had no problem with rain getting in , I use it with a tarp or in a leaf shelter mostly but have slept out in the mountains with no cover at all.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hi I am using the gore tex version for some years now. They are great. I use them for my work in the marine corps. I can change my gear when it is broke but i have never changed my bivybag. There is a really strong zipper on it and the wholl thing is gore tex so that is a big plus.

could you enlighten me as to the purpose of the 2 thick straps on the back and does something attach to the poppers, I bought mine about 7 years ago and have used it in all kinds of weathers and never had a problem it is a bit on the heavy side though

could you enlighten me as to the purpose of the 2 thick straps on the back and does something attach to the poppers, I bought mine about 7 years ago and have used it in all kinds of weathers and never had a problem it is a bit on the heavy side though

the straps are for keeping your ground/sleeping mat in place , according to the spiel in the evilbay advert.

I'll find out in about 5 days hopefully when mine arrives. I decided to go for it , even though its a tad heavier than the Brit one.

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
the dutch bivybag is great. that is for the model 90 sleeping bag. it has no zipper, but I've put one in and it works fine. no leaks because there is a velcro flap over it. The cheapest one I've seen is about 40 euro's. Contact me I've you're looking for one, since I live in the netherlands it's fairly easy to get one so I can send it to you if you want.

Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE