DuraTough Socks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Oops typo! DARN Tough, not Dura Tough (can a mod edit the title please? Thanks!)

Has anyone ever used these on a long-distance hike? Almost every hiker I watch on YouTube seems to use them, so they're clearly popular, but I am interested in hearing the opinion of someone less likely to be sponsored by them.

If you have them, do you find they last well? I'm looking for some that won't just last a couple hikes then wear out.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I'm not too sure on how well they last, haven't worn them out if that counts. But then I'm no hiker. The sizing is a little smaller than I would like but again I'm a 14 so maybe not a fair test. The one thing I know is bull is when they say they dry out quickly. They retain water like crazy. One of my camping trips involved a swim to the place I needed to get to, so it was a baptism of fire because they where totally submerged in water for about a 5 minute swim. (don't take my boots off for it, find I can swim in them and clothed fine) but they take forever to dry fireside

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
I'm not too sure on how well they last, haven't worn them out if that counts. But then I'm no hiker. The sizing is a little smaller than I would like but again I'm a 14 so maybe not a fair test. The one thing I know is bull is when they say they dry out quickly. They retain water like crazy. One of my camping trips involved a swim to the place I needed to get to, so it was a baptism of fire because they where totally submerged in water for about a 5 minute swim. (don't take my boots off for it, find I can swim in them and clothed fine) but they take forever to dry fireside

That's really interesting to know (where I intend to go next year will be quite rainy and potentially a very wet experience). They seem quite durable, as the name suggests, but water holding is not that great given what water damage can do to your feet!

Could that have been the result of your boots not being quick-drying and/or water resistant enough?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I took them off straight after the swim along with the docks to dry. Boots dried in a crack. Socks didn't

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
I've been using them for several years, and I really like them. I have used the light cushion, hiker micro crew cushion, full cushion and extra cushion, and I prefer the hiker micro crew cushion whether I'm wearing shoes or boots. At about $20 per pair, they are a little pricey, but they are great fitting and comfortable, and I much prefer them over smartwool. I lucked into getting several pairs for about half price on clearance. Cheaper socks will get the job done as well, but I just feel that the Darn Tough socks help my feet feel better after a long day of walking. I wore them a few weeks ago on a multi day hike with about a dozen or so stream crossings ranging from ankle deep to nearly waist deep on the first day. The socks got pretty soaked and I generally wouldn't take my shoes off or wring out the socks until rest breaks. They retained quite a bit of water, but I never had any foot issues due to walking in them wet, and after wringing them out, they were good to go, and I wore the same pair of socks the whole first day. They have quite the advertised warranty of free replacement of any pair that you wear out, but I've yet to wear out a pair to test and see if the warranty is as advertised.

As you can see in the picture below from that trip, they were exposed to plenty of water on multiple occasions.

SAM_0054 by Bradley Buckman, on Flickr

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am in the process of reviewing these socks for my magazine column - so far I love them!
More when I have used them more :)

I have four pairs of these socks, they are brilliant on long distance walks, like bradleybuckman said, your feet do feel better after a long day of walking. They're really comfortable and they are brilliant at wicking the sweat away from your feet.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Oops typo! DARN Tough, not Dura Tough (can a mod edit the title please? Thanks!)

Has anyone ever used these on a long-distance hike? Almost every hiker I watch on YouTube seems to use them, so they're clearly popular, but I am interested in hearing the opinion of someone less likely to be sponsored by them.

If you have them, do you find they last well? I'm looking for some that won't just last a couple hikes then wear out.
It's not helpful to know from the point of view that no one wants to have socks wear out ON the hike itself, but if they do become damaged or worn they have a lifetime unconditional replacement guarantee, as the website and packaging quote:

"Unconditional lifetime guarantee—simply and without strings or conditions:

If our socks are not the most comfortable, durable and best fitting socks you have ever owned, return them for another pair, or your money back.

No strings. No conditions. For life.

When you are really serious about something you make it yourself.

RETURNING SOCKS:

If you were able to wear out a pair of Darn Tough socks, we’ll replace them. At any time. Just package the socks up, fill out the form, and send to the appropriate address—we will send you a brand new pair!

Ric Cabot 
President & CEO 
Cabot Hosiery Mills / Darn Tough Vermont 
still Made in Vermont, USA"

I have 2 pairs and they have well outlasted my Bridgedales and the cushioning is more substantial. They did the Chatsworth challenge without a complaint or a blister.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Oct 31, 2015
Dudley

A little tip for drying some items by a fire is to heat up stones and place them in the socks and boots, but beware of hot stones in boots if they are leather as it may crack the leather, I hope this may have been of some use

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE