Durability of "hiking trainers", merrell chameleon blast 3 in particular?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hi all, I'm usually not one for anything but strong leather boots, but since the renowned merrells were on half price sale at sports direct a few months ago I couldn't resist a pair of chameleon 3 blast for this summer.

Now I plan to walk my upcoming pennine way trip wearing them and was wondering if they are up to the job of this 265 mile walk? I plan to walk it in 12 days at 22 mile per day, so a fairly intense tab, not to mention a heavy pack. DO you guys reckon these Chameleon blast 3 shoes will be up to the job and not fall apart part way through?

p.s carrying spare footwear is not an option!

Link here http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/merrell-chameleon-3-blast-shoe-p197429

19080-281211110148891847858.jpg

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Dunno, about those particular shoes but SWMBO insists on Merrell. Still on the 3rd pair, others lasted well. 2 trains of thought for footwear: 1. Shoes are lightweight and allow the ankle to flex reducing injuries whilst increasing ankle strength and allowing the feet to dry quicker whilst allowing you to "feel" the terrain. 2. Boots offer more protection from injury, protection from getting wet and overall robustness.

I'm not convinced 100% in either direction, but generally use existing boots that I own.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Wouldn't have thought this type of footwear would give you the support & protection needed on a long haul with a heavy pack......these 'trainers' are fine though for walking from the car park to the panaramic view & back again :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
They'll do fine. They are what are called approach shoes, your supposed to wear them for lowland walking then changing into heavier boots for the rugged higher grounds.

I have a pair of North Face Hedgehogs which i have had about a year, still in very good condition. They will last the duration with no problems at all i expect. :)

Don't expect them to keep your feet dry though, they aint designed for that

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
they're exactly the kind of shoe i'd look at for doing that sort of trip, and i've done pretty well with merrells in the past, so IMO they should be spot on for you

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They should be fine, my lad has used similar to the link and the Karrimor KSB make, he's very heavy on footware but both are very similar and last about the same time. More and more hikers are moving away from traditional heavy boots and using lighter approach shoes; they won't last as long as some more traditional boot styles but are lightweight, comfortable, cooler, dry faster etc so have a lot going for them.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I am on my third pair of Merrell Chameleon Wrap Slam, they are excellent shoes ! My first pair is still ok apart from the soles leaking, but they are about 6 years old and I practically lived in them for about 3 years, 2nd pair is 3 years old and still in very good condition, 3rd pair are almost new, I only bought them because they were 1/2 price in Blacks.

Although they are great shoes I would not want to walk 22 miles per day over 12 days in them. The soles are fairly thin, and I dont think they would offer you the cushioning that a proper pair of walking boots would. I have done a walk of about 12 miles in mine before, and by the end of that my soles felt pretty bruised & sore. I was going home to recover after that not repeating it for days on end.

I have walked the Pembrokeshire coast path before & understand how harsh walking for days on end can be, so I would definately opt for a proper pair of comfortable walking boots. Plus if it rains, ( and lets face it, chances are it probably will ) it wont be long until your feet are saturated. Also with boots if it does rain the ankle is up inside your waterproofs, so the insides of the boots should remain dry, where as a shoe will allow rain running off your waterproofs drip in to your shoes.

Hope that helps .

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
In the interest of balance, I would point out that ankle gaiters cure the rain off of the waterproofs issue. However, you will get wet shoes/feet without a doubt.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
A few years ago I purchased some expensive Merrell Trainers only to find in another shop on the highstreet absolutely 100% identical ones without the logo for 1/5th the price. Never again will I buy them.

If I were going to walk a long way in poor weather I would go for some The North Face Hedgehog GTX trainers, I am on my second pair and love them to bits. If you're worried about wet feet and don't want goretex trainers, just pick up a few pairs of sealskins socks.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
A few years ago I purchased some expensive Merrell Trainers only to find in another shop on the highstreet absolutely 100% identical ones without the logo for 1/5th the price. Never again will I buy them.

For real? I thought Merrell exclusively design and manufactuered all their own footwear products? I wouldn't mind knowing the 1/5th of the price clones you speak of, though!

As for weather I will be going during the height of summer so won't be bringing any waterproofs whatsoever. Thanks for the reccomendation on the Hedgehog GTX's, bookmarked.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I have a few pairs of shoes like that and they're great for quick walks.

As blacktimberwolf and Perrari said though, for me they do not offer enough support or protection while both carrying a heavy pack and long distances.

Whenever i've worn these type of approach shoes on longer hikes, at around the 12 mile mark i start to wish i had my hiking boots on instead.
They were not uncomfortable enough to stop me walking, but i am certainly less fatigued on longer hikes with stiffer soled walking boots.

Cheers
Mark

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Do we really need boots for the likes of this walk?
http://pct-hike.randsco.com/Planning/06-Feet.html
“When you think about it, this makes perfect sense. At every step you lift the weight of your footwear. My stride is roughly two feet long. So I lift my feet around 2,500 times per mile. If I wear boots weighing 4 pounds a pair, I’m lifting around 10,000 pounds every mile. However, if instead I wear low-cut shoes weighing 1.5 pounds, then I lift only 3,750 pounds every mile. In the course of hiking 20 miles, that’s 200,000 pounds lifted with 4-pound boots, but only 75,000 pounds with 1.5-pound shoes, a big difference.” (Chris Townsend)

A lot of people are walking a lot further over more difficult terrain using shoes not boots, are we 'clinging on' to what we were taught years ago. When I was at School and started rock climbing the de rigour footware was heavy leather boots with pretty much a rigid sole. By the time I finished School canvas shoes were in fashion. I don't hike so its all guess work on my part but I've not taken boots on static camps for well over two years, trainers, crocs and or a pair of wellies round camp, no point in boots for static camping IMO.

If I was up to it and doing the Pennine Way these days I'd go for shoes. Up and down steep inclines in Snowdonia? the juries out on that one for me, always was boots...what I was used to but if I'm in or around Brecon these days you see more and more hill walkers in trainers so they must have something going in their favour I suspect.

We should look more at what the modern hiker uses, they seem to embrace new ideas and technology more than some of us 'old timers' lol

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i have used the merrell chameleon wrap slam and the salomon exit 2 aero (both non-goretex) when wet i find the salomons dry out much quicker than the merrels, the merrels take much longer to dry out which is a shame as they are otherwise a good shoe, you will get wet in approach shoes so i consider their abilty to dry out quickly while on the move important (forget goretex shoes they take ages to dry out, and you are sure to get them wet inside) i don't wear anything waterproof on my feet in warm weather just normal socks (and yes i get wet) the merrels are up to the job for what you said (unless faulty, unlikely) so choice of shoe V boot is really down to personal preference. I would advise a lightweight waterproof jacket of some kind though (you said you were taking no waterproofs)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Do we really need boots for the likes of this walk?
http://pct-hike.randsco.com/Planning/06-Feet.html
“When you think about it, this makes perfect sense. At every step you lift the weight of your footwear. My stride is roughly two feet long. So I lift my feet around 2,500 times per mile. If I wear boots weighing 4 pounds a pair, I’m lifting around 10,000 pounds every mile. However, if instead I wear low-cut shoes weighing 1.5 pounds, then I lift only 3,750 pounds every mile. In the course of hiking 20 miles, that’s 200,000 pounds lifted with 4-pound boots, but only 75,000 pounds with 1.5-pound shoes, a big difference.” (Chris Townsend)

A lot of people are walking a lot further over more difficult terrain using shoes not boots, are we 'clinging on' to what we were taught years ago. When I was at School and started rock climbing the de rigour footware was heavy leather boots with pretty much a rigid sole. By the time I finished School canvas shoes were in fashion. I don't hike so its all guess work on my part but I've not taken boots on static camps for well over two years, trainers, crocs and or a pair of wellies round camp, no point in boots for static camping IMO.

If I was up to it and doing the Pennine Way these days I'd go for shoes. Up and down steep inclines in Snowdonia? the juries out on that one for me, always was boots...what I was used to but if I'm in or around Brecon these days you see more and more hill walkers in trainers so they must have something going in their favour I suspect.

We should look more at what the modern hiker uses, they seem to embrace new ideas and technology more than some of us 'old timers' lol

I don't just "embrace new ideas and technology" mate, i chase em round the parking lot :lmao:

I know what your saying and logically you'd be right, for me though in the 12 years i've lived here i've tried and tried and tried with lightweight shoes, in the hope that come summer my feet won't feel like boil in a bag potatoes.

I've tried everything from sandles, to them there 5fingers, these approach type shoes (i wear these daily) and even some that are in-between sandles and approach shoes.
Even tried them past the point of uncomfortable over long periods in case my feet need to "get used to them".

Still on longer hikes i've found nothing as good as a decent pair of hiking boots.

Part of it is that with the stiffer sole your foot tends to roll through a stride, rather than your calves lifting you in softer soled shoes.
The other thing is, with a heavy pack on rough terrain you are going to stumble, even with hiking poles.
With shoes i'm fine the first 10 miles or so as i still feel fairly light on my feet, after 12 miles or so though i tend to just kinda throw 1 foot in front of the other, so at longer distances when i stumble my other leg isn't as quick or strong to support.

With boots you have that ankle protection.

Horses for courses, i know that some marathon runners sing the praise of barefoot running, so absolutely no doubt it's possible.
For me though even after giving lighter thinner shoes a damn good chance i'm still better off on longer hikes and hikes with a weighty backpack with stronger hiking boots.

Cheers
Mark

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
5 finger shoes, no, no, no, seriously...you didn't...not in front of Greek men; I dread to think what they thought, them sitting there, playing tavli and having a gylko coffe and you walking past! I used to believe in the ankle support idea, still do I suppose but over the years I've had two mates have broken ankle bones and they were in boots, to really give support they'd need to be tight enough to cut off the blood supply. I wish I was fit enough to put boots v shoes to the test
:vio:
Use what you like, live and let live and all that.

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I would advise a lightweight waterproof jacket of some kind though (you said you were taking no waterproofs)

I would echo that, I height of summer? Exposure to an hour long downpour, exertion, and wind etc =death :banghead:

...... Failed dogger and alleged bigot!

greensurfingbear

I manage the newcastle section of the Hadrian wall national trail and have seen people wearing all sorts on their feet. Definitely a shift to more and more folk wearing approach shoes. But then again not as many folk carrying big bags.

I think the answer to a lot of these questions are down to personal preference as well as knowing what your body can take. I did the 17km might deerstalker night race this year in vibram five finger kso shoes. Feet where fine. Granted I wasn't wearing a heavy pack but I was running up mountains and through rivers and bogs!

Orric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE