Duluth...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I think you can remove the "alleged." :) It's well known that Frost River was started by long time employees of Duluth Pack, right after it was sold a couple years ago. Their packs are every bit as good as Duluth packs if not better and they come standard in waxed cloth.

Here's one of each:
canoepacks1b.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've talked to the guys at Frost River about that Nessmuk pack. I have always thought of a Nessmuk pack as an envelope pack but the fact is that Nessmuk's books give only a small glimpse of Nessmuk's gear.

I've noticed in canoe books that a very similar pack was well-known as a Nessmuk pack and I believe Woods of Canada made a model. Evidently there is a record of Nessmuk somewhere, ordering a pack of this design. However, it's not shown in his books. A similar pack in the northeast here is often referred to a a Maine Guide Pack.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
I think the Duluth stuff and the Frost River stuff are lovely, but are a bit on the expensive side!

Is there any British companies that do similar traditional stuff?

mojo

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Yeah, I really like the look of it too... looks well made and like it's only going to get better with age.

Are there any UK companies that do similar stuff?

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I have not yet bought my first Duluth (or Frost River) pack but they really aren't so expensive, compared with other packs. Other packs may be better for backpacking trips but they aren't sold for that purpose. But Duluth packs are (or were) made in the United States and they might be a little more expensive for that. By the way, I never heard of Tamarack.

I have seen stacks of Duluth packs in Minnesota stores but only one around here (Northern Virginia, U.S.A.), so they sort of have only a regional following.

Oh, they might be expensive compared with a surplus army pack. Only by buying surplus could I afford the six or eight rucksacks I own! I think I'm getting to be more of a collector than a backpacker.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I had intended to mention that Horace Kephart recommended a Duluth pack as the lightest and most economical pack to use. But that was in 1920. Warren Miller, who I believe was the editor of Field and Stream or something like that, also writing around 1920 or a little earlier, made his own pack. He had attempted to design a combination sleeping bag and pack. The result looked an awful lot like a Duluth pack but I don't think he used a tumpline.

I don't recall other writers in the past recommending a Duluth pack. Packs with aluminum (aluminium) frames have been around since at least the 1960's and that is almost beyond living memory. Packboards used to be somewhat common up until then but nobody talks about them now. It is interesting to me that armies keep coming up with fairly advanced (and large) backpacks at a time when no soldier should have to carry a heavy pack in the first place. Which point has nothing to do with Duluth packs.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The nice thing about duluth packs is that they ride well in a canoe.

merlinii1b.jpg

There's an interesting story in the Sept issue of tactical knives about a guy who used a Duluth pack to go on a little Kephart outing. ;)

Did I say interesting? Fascinating really... :D

TK

They can get a little heavy if you have to carry them over a long distance. :(

hiking1c.jpg

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Hoodoo, is that the original Duluth in the photo? Have you tried any of the other models in their range? I quite like the look of the rambler and wanderer packs too. :rolleyes:
By the way, how do you always manage to get such good photos?? I mean the sort we'd all like to take but elude us continually :confused:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Haven't tried the rambler or the wanderer so I dunno.

Thanks for the compliment on the photos. I don't really do anything special that I know of. Just try to avoid the harsh shadows and glaring light when I can. Diffused light is my buddy. :)

The pack I'm wearing is a Duluth pack.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Hoodoo said:
Haven't tried the rambler or the wanderer so I dunno.

Thanks for the compliment on the photos. I don't really do anything special that I know of. Just try to avoid the harsh shadows and glaring light when I can. Diffused light is my buddy. :)

The pack I'm wearing is a Duluth pack.
Thanks for the reply. I think that seeing a pack in use or being worn is a much better guide than the catalogue blurb. I quite fancy a rucksack that doesnt look too military and one that has inherent water-resistance, with the bonus of natural materials. Maybe others have tried some of these packs or own them???

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
For those who are interested, here are the costs of ordering a Duluth pack direct from the manufacturer.

Duluth Northwoods $165.00
Freight $41.00

VAT £19.91
Parcelforce Clearance Fee £8.00

Quite expensive really, nice pack though.

:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
sandbender said:
For those who are interested, here are the costs of ordering a Duluth pack direct from the manufacturer.

Duluth Northwoods $165.00
Freight $41.00

VAT £19.91
Parcelforce Clearance Fee £8.00

Quite expensive really, nice pack though.

:)

Hmmm, heavy wax fabric £3.50 a metre x 1.5m wide. Five different colours available. Leather straps and buckles....speak to Eric or Troy, maybe Leon-1 or Wayland..... well under £20 a pack. Someone show me one of these packs so I can work out patterns? Or if someone has one maybe work out the sizes and positionings for us?

Cheers,
Toddy

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
Toddy said:
Hmmm, heavy wax fabric £3.50 a metre x 1.5m wide. Five different colours available. Leather straps and buckles....speak to Eric or Troy, maybe Leon-1 or Wayland..... well under £20 a pack. Someone show me one of these packs so I can work out patterns? Or if someone has one maybe work out the sizes and positionings for us?

Cheers,
Toddy
good idea :)
i've always fancied these for my canoe but can't afford the price (champagne taste, but beer money!) They look great, but how do people find they perform in the bottom of a wet canoe? is there room for improvement in a home made one?
cheers

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
There are very few canoe packs that you can buy that are waterproof. Even the ones that claim to be waterproof are generally not to be trusted. The key to using Duluth-style packs is to pack the gear in waterproof bags. If done right, it also makes the packs buoyant, which is important if you plan to recover your gear after a spill.

Here's one way to deal with it...but not the only way. :)

Personally I like dry saks that roll over and lock. The better ones have valves on the bottom to let air out as you roll the bag up. These also can leak if poorly made, worn out, or not sealed properly.

Always test your pack to see if it will float. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE