Duluth Pathfinder Log Cot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rg598

Native
It's not all that heavy, with a decent wool blanket and a superfly it's not that much heavier than a hammock/bivvi and bag. Lighter than a tent setup. Plus there's a multitude of ways to use this cot.
In fact, when I start using this proper, I'm hoping to go more along the lines less is better. Using skills that I've been learning and practising from you fine folks. Along the lines of the boone challenge.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Unless you are using some extremely heavy components, there is no way this set up with a blanket, tarp, and this contraption will be even close to the same, yet alone lighter than a tarp, hammock, and sleeping bag of comparable warmth. Assuming both set ups use the same tarp, just for simplicity, a modern backpacking hammock weighs under 2 lb (models like the TreckLight Single weigh 1 lb). A three season sleeping bag (comparable warmth to a light wool blanket) weighs around 2 lb as well. I guarantee you that this contraption, made of heavy canvas (as per the description, with undisclosed weight) comes in at well over 5 lb alone. Add a 4 lb blanket, and this set up will weight at least twice as much as a hammock and sleeping bag system, not to mention the huge volume. Looking at his Pathfinder log cot and blanket roll in the video, it would take up my whole backpack and then some.

Besides, Kephart never used anything like this when he was actually traveling through the woods. In his book on woodsmanship he is very specific about his gear, and there is nothing resembling this (http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/04/gear-of-horace-kephart.html). Maybe he spoke about it in his book on camping, which he wrote for non-woodsmen, which I must admit I have not read closely. I guarantee you no woodsman of any time period ever carried any extravagant contraption such as this one. After all, they had to actually get places.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Unless you are using some extremely heavy components, there is no way this set up with a blanket, tarp, and this contraption will be even close to the same, yet alone lighter than a tarp, hammock, and sleeping bag of comparable warmth. Assuming both set ups use the same tarp, just for simplicity, a modern backpacking hammock weighs under 2 lb (models like the TreckLight Single weigh 1 lb). A three season sleeping bag (comparable warmth to a light wool blanket) weighs around 2 lb as well. I guarantee you that this contraption, made of heavy canvas (as per the description, with undisclosed weight) comes in at well over 5 lb alone. Add a 4 lb blanket, and this set up will weight at least twice as much as a hammock and sleeping bag system, not to mention the huge volume. Looking at his Pathfinder log cot and blanket roll in the video, it would take up my whole backpack and then some.

Besides, Kephart never used anything like this when he was actually traveling through the woods. In his book on woodsmanship he is very specific about his gear, and there is nothing resembling this (http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/04/gear-of-horace-kephart.html). Maybe he spoke about it in his book on camping, which he wrote for non-woodsmen, which I must admit I have not read closely. I guarantee you no woodsman of any time period ever carried any extravagant contraption such as this one. After all, they had to actually get places.

I'm away at the moment, so can't take any photos of it rolled up, Chiseller has some of his rolled. but my idea is to carry the bed roll, and maybe a small day sack.
I agree, I wouldn't carry this just as a replacement sleeping system, rather carry the bedroll with a knife or billhook and fire kit rolled inside. And a smaller pack with my mug, water filter, snap, fak and maybe a torch.

As for kepharts book camping and woodcraft, I've just started reading it, and am still in the camping section, there are diagrams of a bedroll, but haven't got that far yet. A cracking read so far :thumbup:

I guessed the weight comparing my own DD hammock and heavyweight softie 10 bag, I'd say not a great deal of weight difference. Especially as on a normal trip I'd have a stove plus a backup, tools and a host of other 'luxuries'.

At the end of the day, it's a surprisingly comfortable setup.

rg598

Native
I'm away at the moment, so can't take any photos of it rolled up, Chiseller has some of his rolled. but my idea is to carry the bed roll, and maybe a small day sack.
I agree, I wouldn't carry this just as a replacement sleeping system, rather carry the bedroll with a knife or billhook and fire kit rolled inside. And a smaller pack with my mug, water filter, snap, fak and maybe a torch.

As for kepharts book camping and woodcraft, I've just started reading it, and am still in the camping section, there are diagrams of a bedroll, but haven't got that far yet. A cracking read so far :thumbup:

I guessed the weight comparing my own DD hammock and heavyweight softie 10 bag, I'd say not a great deal of weight difference. Especially as on a normal trip I'd have a stove plus a backup, tools and a host of other 'luxuries'.

At the end of the day, it's a surprisingly comfortable setup.

Just some rough numbers:

DD Frontline Hammock: 1.8 lb (820g)
Snugpack Softie 10: 3.9 lb (1758g) By the way, that is an extremely heavy warm weather bag. My cheap synthetic 0C bag weighs 2.2 lb.

Duluth Pathfinder Log Cot: 7.4 lb (3357g) This is calculated based on this being a heavyweight canvas (32 oz per square yard), using the dimensions provided for the cot by Duluth (84 in x 26 in with two pockets of doubled up canvas 6 in x 84 in in size plus two pockets of doubled up canvas 6 in x 26 in in size).
Wool blanket: for 0C rating, one 5 lb (2268g) blanket will probably do.

Even with the heavy sleeping bag, the weight of the hammock and sleeping bag is still less than half of that of the Log Cot and wool blanket. I would much rather spend the money on a good sleeping bag (there are many 0C bags that weigh less than 2 lb) rather than this thing. I don't know how small yours packs up, but the one in the video is monstrous, and clearly not designed for people who intend to go anywhere. Seems like most of Dave's stuff is not designed to leave the back yard; from a canvas backpack stuffed with a plastic trash can for support, to now this contraption.

It is just impossible to replace sil nylon with canvas and fill based insulation (down, primaloft, etc) with non-fill based insulation (wool) and retain the same weight.

As far as Kephart, when traveling, he states in his book that he uses a 9ft x 7ft canvas tarp which weighs 2 lb 4 oz, and a single blanket weighing 5 lb (3 lb for a lighter blanket in summer).

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Not that huge , and not that heavy. Plus folk who may use them are imo not going for speed .....steady away as nature herself ;-)

ydapetaj.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

That does look about 50% bigger than my warbonnet blackbird in which I get a flat lay, has the suspension straps built-in and biting insect protection also built in. I don't get why you would spend about the same amount for something that only gives the same lay, you need to cut sturdy poles for, you need to faff with thicker ropes to prevent eating through the canvas, has no bug netting and is larger and heavier.

I guess it's the old mora vs. custom knife debate and just comes down to preference and prestige... well kind of, my warbonnet isn't really a mora of the hammock world.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE