Duluth Pathfinder Log Cot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dave Canterbury of the pathfinder school, working with duluthpack of minnesota, and asking for feedback from bushcrafters who subscribe to his channel, came up with this Duluth Pathfinder Log Cot.

Inspired by a bedroll used by Horace Kephart in the early 1900's.

Can be used as a raised bed, a stretcher, or my favorite a hammock, with struts.

[video=youtube;76_FuL6t6s0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76_FuL6t6s0[/video]

I've never gotten along with conventional hammocks. I dont like how they wrap around me but this looks comfy. Especially with the struts.

Im not spending $225 on one from duluth, but I reckon with a few minor alterations, you could make a comparable set up with this new nato canvas camp bed for a tenner.

$(KGrHqIOKigE3Bpj+POeBN1RGIgsu  !~~0_12.JPG

Already have mosquito nets, and rigging.

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I think it is flawed in a few ways...

1. Spreader hammocks like that are usually more tippy than gathered ones.
2. The price is mental.
3. You would not sleep flat so would probably get leg cramp at 3am.
4. The price is mental.
5. How do you get netting on/around it?
6. The price is mental.
7. You have to chop wood to be able to use it at all, even just for a few minutes to take a rest from walking.
8. It's heavier than nearly every other hammock I can think of.
9. Did I mention the price?

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Swright has made one as am I . His total outlay was in the region of 15 quid .....my cost is about the same. Did I mention the price lol .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Mr F won't be interested in it...

:rolleyes::lmao:

Actually I have made a stretcher bed - 2 actually - and when at my usual sites they are my normal sleeping arrangement.
They are by far the most comfortable woods bed I have ever used!
003.jpg
003.jpg
the top one is made from an MOD basha, the lower from ripstop poly cotton reinforced with webbing!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Actually I have made a stretcher bed - 2 actually - and when at my usual sites they are my normal sleeping arrangement.
They are by far the most comfortable woods bed I have ever used!
View attachment 21597
View attachment 21598
the top one is made from an MOD basha, the lower from ripstop poly cotton reinforced with webbing!

Looks like a damned civilised way to camp to me. :D
Swright has made one as am I . His total outlay was in the region of 15 quid .....my cost is about the same.

Be good to see some photos. Did you both get the same camp bed as the one I got, or a stretcher bed or something else?

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Swright has made one as am I . His total outlay was in the region of 15 quid .....my cost is about the same. Did I mention the price lol .

Aye, a nice piece of heavy weight cotton canvas, a sweet old lady with an industrial sewing machine and a bit of old rope. Still needs a bit of adjustment, but wow, it's comfy, can't see any leg ache with this thing.

umyhyda8.jpg

venu6uve.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Well, it looks comfy. I suspect that nato bed I bought may not be wide enough.

My sleeping area is 32" wide and just under 8' long. Make sure the cross beams are nice strong pieces. Blackthorn worked well..... when my beech ones snapped on the first attempt, I found myself well and truly cocooned with a rather undignified way of getting out.

I'm in the tin tent at sandsend at the moment with the family, when I return, I'll try it out again and get better pictures.

rg598

Native
I didn't get it when he was first talking about it, and I still don't get it. It makes absolutely no sense for anyone who is mobile. This is a huge contraption, completely impractical for the person who carries their gear long distance on their back. I suppose it is suited for car camping, but in that case, there are much more comfortable options that you can pull out of the trunk of your car.

I also hate how Kephart's name gets tossed on top of everything as a marketing tool.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I personally like it but would never buy one from the states. I generally prefer traditionally items hence the reason why I like it.

I didn't get it when he was first talking about it, and I still don't get it. It makes absolutely no sense for anyone who is mobile. This is a huge contraption, completely impractical for the person who carries their gear long distance on their back. I suppose it is suited for car camping, but in that case, there are much more comfortable options that you can pull out of the trunk of your car.

I also hate how Kephart's name gets tossed on top of everything as a marketing tool.
Loads of names are thrown in for marketing. Mears kephart kochanski grylls canturbury
As for carrying nope I wouldn't wanna pack it too far. But kephart did pack horse camping and long term camping as well as walking to his campsites

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I didn't get it when he was first talking about it, and I still don't get it. It makes absolutely no sense for anyone who is mobile. This is a huge contraption, completely impractical for the person who carries their gear long distance on their back.

Not that huge , and not that heavy. Plus folk who may use them are imo not going for speed .....steady away as nature herself ;-)

ydapetaj.jpg

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
This type of bed are comfy if set up right , I like the home made versions but over 200 for a piece of canvas is mad

rg598

Native
Not that huge , and not that heavy. Plus folk who may use them are imo not going for speed .....steady away as nature herself ;-)

It's too big and too heavy if you actually have to carry it around. I think you are right, no one who is going for speed, distance, or any other type of challenging activity would carry one. That's why I am not sure of its market. If you are car camping, there are more comfortable options. At that point it doesn't matter if my bed weight 2 lb or 5 lb. I would rather get the one that comes with its own legs.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
It's too big and too heavy if you actually have to carry it around. I think you are right, no one who is going for speed, distance, or any other type of challenging activity would carry one. That's why I am not sure of its market. If you are car camping, there are more comfortable options. At that point it doesn't matter if my bed weight 2 lb or 5 lb. I would rather get the one that comes with its own legs.

It's not all that heavy, with a decent wool blanket and a superfly it's not that much heavier than a hammock/bivvi and bag. Lighter than a tent setup. Plus there's a multitude of ways to use this cot.
In fact, when I start using this proper, I'm hoping to go more along the lines less is better. Using skills that I've been learning and practising from you fine folks. Along the lines of the boone challenge.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am in the middle of making my own version from an old hammock :) It should end up weighing no more than a slightly heavy hammock would...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE