DSC1 Manual

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
Does anybody have a copy of the Deer Stalking manual which they would be willing to loan me for a short while. I am hoping to do the course either later this year or at the beginning of next year (it would be easier to do it locally and I think that the only course this year is in a couple of weeks), and have already started reading ... as well as doing as much as I can practically i.e. watching deer, tracking etc. I understand that the manual contains lots of the questions which are used for the assessment, and would like to have a look through them. Will of course be happy to cover p&p. Cheers. David :)

gurthang

Nov 22, 2004
Devon/Hampshire
If I knew where mine was you could borrw it but I dont have any idea at the moment if I find it I'll let you know. I think theres a downloadable version of it on the DMQ website but I mught be wrong.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I found the best thing is to get the CD
It has film and audio clips as well so can help with IDing deer not in your area.
It also has the 300 questions and the answers whereas the paper version the answers are in the text and a pain to find (unless it's changed since I did it)
With practice you can run through all the questions in 30 mins.
It really does help
Have a look at the website, can't remember how much they are now.
Mine is a couple of years out of date so wont have the new game handling rules in it otherwise I'd offer.

Good searching

Mark

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
The DSC-1 manual is definitely not available for download as it's part of the cost of the course. The distance learning package is good, but the course is very much better. I should have written a review on the one I attended a few weeks ago, but haven't gotten around to it yet (sorry).

You get sent the manual as soon as you book on the course (as they take your money straight away). Book now and get reading!

As Buckshot says, the CD is absolutely invaluable - many people would not have passed without this almost essential aid.

The game handling regs are downloadable, from here: http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/wildgameguide.pdf

Section 2 is the one you need to be familiar with for deer.

ODG

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
Buckshot said:
I found the best thing is to get the CD
It has film and audio clips as well so can help with IDing deer not in your area.
It also has the 300 questions and the answers whereas the paper version the answers are in the text and a pain to find (unless it's changed since I did it)
With practice you can run through all the questions in 30 mins.
It really does help
Have a look at the website, can't remember how much they are now.
Mine is a couple of years out of date so wont have the new game handling rules in it otherwise I'd offer.

Good searching

Mark

Thanks Mark (and all others that have answered my call). I was going to get the CD but it appears that it is only available for PCs (I have a Mac!). Looks like the only option is either to book a course now for next year, or carry on studying now, and wait until closer to the course date to get the manual with the questions. :(
Regards to all.
David

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
outdoorgirl said:
I'll have a chat with a bloke at work who is mac-mad and see if it can be converted...
ODG

Would be fantastic if it can. :) The course sounds great, and much preferable to learning 'on-line'. The theory part doesn't worry me too much (one of the joys of having an academic background), and the 'grouping' should be quite straightforward. I need to give myself as much time as possible to observe as many deer as I can in different settings though, so that the ID part is, if not second nature, then at least easier (especially the hinds/does). Look forward to hearing about your course-experience.
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE