Drying a kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stingy

Aug 19, 2014
stoke on trent
Hi guys

Whats the best way to dry a kuksa ready for sanding?
I've read differing ways using paper or plastic bags, has anybody got a tried and tested way?

Thanks

stingy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Plastic bags aren't really advisable as they can retain moisture and cause mildew.

As Colin said a paper bag slightly open is best, especially if you put a load of shavings in with it

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I use a shoebox with shavings from the kuksa itself, and just chuck it in a corner for a month or two. A paper bag also works well indeed.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd recommend you to use Walnut oil on it, as it's a drying oil; i.e. the oil will dry into a solid coat and not stay liquid and thus go rancid. Non-drying oils like Olive oil will soak in and protect but they never dry (polymerise) and will go sour and affect the taste of what you consume from your kuksa. Rancid oils are not a good idea healthwise.

It's worth a google around to do a little research on drying and non-drying oils, some very interesting stuff out there on the subject; hope this helps :)

Ali Graham

May 16, 2011
Doncaster
Iv put olive oil on my first 2 ever spoons but I dont want them to go rancid. If I put walnut oil over them will that stop it?
And is it better to use walnut oil on its own or mix with something like bees wax?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
@ Ali; Just give it a few coats of Walnut oil with 24 hrs. between coats, it'll seal the old Olive oil in.................No need to put beeswax with it unless you particularly want to but I wouldn't :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE