Dry Stone Walling

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
As some of you know I have moved to a new job, over the last week I have been luck to help with repairing a wall. Has been a real experience.

Some before and after photos

Photo-0152.jpg

Photo-0154.jpg

Photo-0158.jpg

Photo-0156.jpg

looking forward to doing a wee bit more :)

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Morpeth, Northumberland
Good work there mate.
I got totally sick of walling after living on a farm for two years which had walls made of marbles and sheep trained by the royal engineers....
Not a good mix.

Was that your first time walling?

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Nice bit of Dyke there SS !

I did quite a bit of walling years ago when i worked for scottish wildlife trust .

I find it great for the mind like a giant 3d puzzle , It can be interesting in the middle of the winter as holding cold stones all day plays havock with your hands .

And it can be back breaking as one yard of 4ft 6 wall contains 1 ton of stone .

Craig...............

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
I also did some walling when i was staying in Cumbria. Went round the local farms doing the repairs. Enjoyable work but as Craig said, back breaking

Dave

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
only walling i've done is with sandstone, its EVIL stuff, grates your hands raw and you have to use massive blocks rather then the smaller granite stuff.
satisfying when it went up tho the wall.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
It's a long time since iv'e had my fingers in a dyke , but it would be good to give it a go again ! :eek:

Craig...............

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Aye was my 1st time, but to be fair I was helping the main man and was learning as I helped. Was like I said a real experience. On the 3rd Photo you can make out how much was striped out to repair the damage. I am getting a lot more hands on work (inc dragging dead sheep out of various places) stock feeding etc.. :)

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Walling is the sort of job that you can pick up and do quite quickly , but it takes a good eye and a passion for it to do it long term .

Once you pick up a stone only put it down in the wall .

I have watched the then Scottish champion waller Neil Rippingale working , he picks up a stone about every 30 seconds and every time it goes in the wall .

One year i went to the Scottish championships in Huntingtower Perth, i ended up being entered into the novice category and winning .

Craig...............

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I haven't seen Neil for about 18 years , i did google him last night and he seems to be doing a good bit of work and employing 6 workers .

Craig..............

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE