Dry old leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I have treated some old, but perfect, untreated, full grain leather with neatsfoot oil. I've applied a few coats and I have been letting it really soak through all of the leather but the top side of the leather still cracks when the leather is bent.

Eventually, will the neatsfoot soak in thoroughly and stop the top side from cracking?

It's been 'soaking in' for a good couple of days now from the numerous coats.

Many Thanks,
Matt

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I suppose I'm asking because if I fold my 3mm veg tan leather in half and really squeeze I just can't crack it.

But this old stuff which I am trying to treat to stop it doing so does fairly readily (doh!)

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Hydrophane Leather Dressing and/or darkening oil will bring old leather up brilliantly. I used to use it on old horse saddles.

Cheers.

If it doesn't stop cracking after this week then perhaps this will be my next step.

It's for an M39 pack I bought tuther day :) fancied going all traditional

But I cracked some bits of it when I was eagerly fiddling - shame... figured maybe I rushed the 're-moisturisation process'

M39-Rucksack-Bedroll.jpg

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I think once the leather is cracked, it stays cracked. The top surface has split at the stress points. All you can do is keep the leather supple to prevent the splits deepening. I would say the cracks add character to the pack. :)

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I think once the leather is cracked, it stays cracked. The top surface has split at the stress points. All you can do is keep the leather supple to prevent the splits deepening. I would say the cracks add character to the pack. :)

That's very true, I was just worried about it's longevity having just received it (The crinkles on the front straps are just crinkles :), the main cracks are on the axe straps and the shoulder straps :()

However, since that has happened I have already started dreaming about the packs future - provided I get on with it.

I figured I took up leatherwork a year ago and it's not beyond me to restore it if I get to like the pack - plus I can then start to add my own personal touches... I think copper rivets would look nicer ;)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I think you should have started with leather conditioner & then use waxes to feed the surface/grain layer.......I'm not an advocate of using animal fats on leather anyway & some neatsfoot oils (unless pure) contain other ingredients such as solvents which arn't exactly great for leather.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I think you should have started with leather conditioner & then use waxes to feed the surface/grain layer.......I'm not an advocate of using animal fats on leather anyway & some neatsfoot oils (unless pure) contain other ingredients such as solvents which arn't exactly great for leather.

Interesting, I've heard someone shun neatsfoot oil before :)

How do animal fats harm leather? Is it such that if they go rancid they rot the leather?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I put neatsfoot oil on the straps of mine when I got it as they were cracked, it has made them more supple but a lot darker almost black

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
me too (or should that be four). nice packs, I'm thinking about cutting off the pulk attachment points on the frame, anyone done this? its just that they stick out a bit and I wont be pulling a pulk anytime soom.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I love the look of the pack but no outside pockets is just is a pain for me.....like others have said I think once cracked there's no going back just keep it supple to prevent worsening....

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
There's a few points to make here - and the main one you've made yourself, I think you've rushed it. You should be sure you're using pure neatsfoot oil and not neatsfoot compound, which contains solvents as mentioned above; apply it sparingly to the flesh side of the leather only, leave it at least a day or so to soak in thoroughly and give it up to four or five doses, again sparingly, without handling the the straps too much and certainly not bending them. When you think it's got supple, do as Squidders says and use Hydrophane on the finished side spending as much time as you can rubbing it in with your fingertips; the heat and massaging on the top side will do wonders for it.

Renovating old leather needs patience, and there are no shortcuts but if you spend the time on it you can get finishes that you'll never get on new stuff - the other thing to bear in mind is that you can only restore what's already there, these straps will have been tanned and finished to a price, to be utilitarian..............it ain't saddelry or bridle leather so don't expect miracles. Hope this helps,................atb mac

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
There's a few points to make here - and the main one you've made yourself, I think you've rushed it. You should be sure you're using pure neatsfoot oil and not neatsfoot compound, which contains solvents as mentioned above; apply it sparingly to the flesh side of the leather only, leave it at least a day or so to soak in thoroughly and give it up to four or five doses, again sparingly, without handling the the straps too much and certainly not bending them. When you think it's got supple, do as Squidders says and use Hydrophane on the finished side spending as much time as you can rubbing it in with your fingertips; the heat and massaging on the top side will do wonders for it.

Renovating old leather needs patience, and there are no shortcuts but if you spend the time on it you can get finishes that you'll never get on new stuff - the other thing to bear in mind is that you can only restore what's already there, these straps will have been tanned and finished to a price, to be utilitarian..............it ain't saddelry or bridle leather so don't expect miracles. Hope this helps,................atb mac

Doh! Carr & Day & Martin - Vanner & Prest - Neatsfoot Compound :)

Cheers for the help.
I've learned a lot from this experience :) First and foremost I ALWAYS rush, too much, and should slow down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE