Dry bags or rucksack liner help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I'll put another vote in for rubble bags.

If your like me and throw your bag around alot - I'd rather get a hole in a cheap rubble bag than and expensive dry sack. Good point about making your stuff look worthless too, it's never nice to have stuff nicked.

rg598

Native
I use stuff sacks/dry bags for my important gear. I certainly use a compression sack for my sleeping bag that also serves as a dry bag. I do not like liners because they trap water inside the bag. Keep in mind that your issues with water will not come just from rain getting into your bag from the outside. At some point you will use your gear in the rain (tent for example), ad then you will put it back in the backpack. All that water will get inside. A liner will keep it inside the bag, and if your gear is not in independent stuff sacks inside, there may be problems.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I use stuff sacks/dry bags for my important gear. I certainly use a compression sack for my sleeping bag that also serves as a dry bag. I do not like liners because they trap water inside the bag. Keep in mind that your issues with water will not come just from rain getting into your bag from the outside. At some point you will use your gear in the rain (tent for example), ad then you will put it back in the backpack. All that water will get inside. A liner will keep it inside the bag, and if your gear is not in independent stuff sacks inside, there may be problems.

Great advice there thanks, my tent will be on the outside of my pack, its a jack wolfskin and comes in its own dry bag so Im not to worried about that tbh!!
Thanks for the avice though, I hadnt thought about trapping water inside!!
Cheers
Steve

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Just my personal preferance but anything i want to keep dry goes into dry bags and i usually keep a medium sized one spare for anything that gets wet that i want to keep separated from the rest of the bag.

I think i have about 5 in total - 2 small ones for the side pouches for knife, torch, batteries ect... in one and food (good for is anything leaks) and then two medium ones for clothes and my folded, deflated roll mat.
I keep my sleeping bag in its compression sack as it helps to keep the space down and doesnt really add to the weight.

I also have a bergen cover as its handy to put over the ruckack when bedding down for the night as it keeps it off the damp ground and stops it getting covered in dew in the early hours.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE