Drinksafe Explorer and Inline Filter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Just bought two explorers and an Inline for my next exped to borneo. They look the biz. Been having some very very technical chats about specs with the owners of the business and theyve passed everything ive wanted so far.

Amazing service from them as well in terms of communication and honesty...

Will post pictures and test heavily before use in borneo so much to follow on this one!

Please share your experiences with their products, build up some feed back for them and help them improve.

http://www.drinksafe-systems.co.uk/products.php

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Just returned from a 3 day mid-wales hike and aquaguard filtered water- from two lakes and a few streams....

bzggx.jpg

It made all the water taste superb, clean tasting (like mineral water really) and worked without fault.

Giles is a good bloke to talk with too and was very helpful with some spares being posted out.

Happy customer, al.

Last edited:

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Update:

the single greatest customer service experience that i have ever come across! Giles literally went out of his way to ensure that my order was processed at lighting speed and provided me with a VAST amount of information regarding the products (including minor limitations!)

Then provided me with some free extras to try out and same day shipping! The man is truly remarkable! I intend to do a full youtube review and article regarding everything i receive from them!

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Just read the blurb on their website "Drinksafe-systems are the only portable systems to have been UK Govt laboratory tested for instant removal of Anthrax".....Anthrax?!!! bloody hell i think im sticking a Drinking Straw in my survival kit next trip to SE Asia.
Keep us updated on your Borneo trip

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Just read the blurb on their website "Drinksafe-systems are the only portable systems to have been UK Govt laboratory tested for instant removal of Anthrax".....Anthrax?!!! bloody hell i think im sticking a Drinking Straw in my survival kit next trip to SE Asia.
Keep us updated on your Borneo trip

I will def be publishing things over the next month or so before i go to borneo! going to go dead sheep hunting in wales over the next two weeks!

Drinking straws are always part of my gear normally but as ill be wearing webbing in borneo im prob not going to bother this time!

i just spoke to the advisor for ben fogels extreme dreams and he used the explorer bottle and spoke highly of it!

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
whilst I know its not just about the size of the filter- you might want to consider that the one you -so highly- recommend- only has a 2 micron filter....:togo:
and that, in my book, rules it out- you would be safer using this kit- (well- maybe the bottle if you're travelling light ! I use it but have no connection to company
With membrane filtration down to 15Nm, I'm happy and safe!

Last edited:

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
whilst I know its not just about the size of the filter- you might want to consider that the one you -so highly- recommend- only has a 2 micron filter....:togo:
and that, in my book, rules it out- you would be safer using this kit- (well- maybe the bottle if you're travelling light ! I use it but have no connection to company

im well aware of micron levels with this gear but have spoken to mates in the industry as well as the guy that runs this company and its got other technology in it that removes viruses instead so i have no worries about the micron size. considering ive been using an msr mini works and not treating the water all these years which doesnt remove viruses either, i dont think itll be a problem.

It does seem to be effective against viruses due to the other technology as opposed to the pore sizes.... valid comment though!

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
ok in terms of weight im impressed. they are designed to be flexible so that you can squeeze them to get water out.

the flow rate is a little slow.... but i guess as its being filtered through so many layers that its going to get caught up on the way....

S

sccadmin

The Big Lebowsk - Thats a view and a half, where abouts in Wales?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
im well aware of micron levels with this gear but have spoken to mates in the industry as well as the guy that runs this company and its got other technology in it that removes viruses instead so i have no worries about the micron size. considering ive been using an msr mini works and not treating the water all these years which doesnt remove viruses either, i dont think itll be a problem.

It does seem to be effective against viruses due to the other technology as opposed to the pore sizes.... valid comment though!

Interesting! I have no axe to grind, just interested in these "other technologies" to remove viruses. I too have wondered about the 2micron filter size, as it seemed the only potentially significant drawback to an excellent piece of kit.. Can you explain what these technologies are? I couldn't find any specific references in their website to how they address the sub-micron issue.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
yet to use my canteen in anger but drinksafe really are excellent to deal with, super fast delivery and very friendly to boot.
if you use low sediment water apparently they can go for upto 3000 liters and more!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria

It seems there has been a similar discussion between this product and the one you mentioned going on about the pore size. I think they basically said that the products with a larger pore size than viurus' work with some form of chemical treatment within it. I am not sure if drinksafe systems product have anything like this although I have not used mine since I kept getting an iodine/chlorien/bleach like taste taint from my inline filter. Bought it from BPL-UK for the same price as direct. Ordered it on the Wed got it on the Thurs and left for the week with it on the friday. Used on the first day in the fells and have never used it since. Don't know if mine was faulty or if I was using it wrong (I followed all the intructions and had the filter in the right orientation so I hadn't been filtering the wrong way around.

Anyway I think it was this forum that had a long argument about these two products and the gist of it was that the drinksafe must have chemical treatment in it to take out virus's The lifesavers bottle and jerry can was considered the better product and the posters all seemed to look down on the drinksafe as being inferior as it used chemicals. I am not sure if it does or not but that thread (IIRC) was very one sides against thei product and for the lifesaver one.

I must admit I did see the lifesaver at an outdoors show in 2009 and was not impressed. I thought it too heavy personally. I look at it like a kit for use with transport such as overlanders in 4x4s or pack horse trips, not if you carry it yourself. In those cases the larger capacity jerry can would be better. In those situations these two products are not in direct competition IMHO as the drinksafe is for lightweight, smaller group or individual use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE