drinking horn!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
as drinking vessels are the the theme today heres one i made for my mate gareth who makes mead by the tonne! ive made him a horn cup in the style of the viking ones of 1000years ago.it came from a dexter bull and was complete with hair and gore!it took ages to sand it and poli****!its decorated with the norse circle design and an inscription in runic which reads:Haldi-t maðr á keri,
drekki þó at hófi mjöð,or in english:Let a man hold the cup,
yet of the mead drink moderately.
thanks to wayland for the runic bit!

IMAG0018-1.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

H

Heathenpeddler

Very nice! I've never done a horn from fresh (don't think SWMBO would like it, I hear the boiling process is a bit smelly...). That looks very professional, how did you engrave the design?

As for the stand, that is pure class :D can we have a few closeups of that for, umm... study! That's right, study, not to steal the design at all, of course not, study, yes... *goes away mumbling*

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Nice work I love it the stand is very nice is ity birch.

:You_Rock_

had i thaught of birch i would have used it! damn! still next one is birch! this was a nice bit of pine,not sure what type but it was harder than ash or any other pine ive used but smelt very piney when cut!

HP ,the lettering was done with my dremmel(didnt you know the vikings used them?!!!!!) the circles i used a home made tool that worked a bit like a compass,ille do a pic in a bit and add to the post.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fishfish - that stand is fantastic! (Nice horn too)

I hope we might see one in the classifieds?

Red

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
That is spot on fella, very nice work I really like the holder and the inscription.

Simon.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
so whats one of these and stand worth? i know the price will never reflect the hours of work!what would you pay?(and yes we'd all like to buy one for a fiver!!!!!)

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
ive been in that situation before with various crafts! flytying being one!but being below the poverty line with 4 kids ime gonna need to make some money for christmass!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
so whats one of these and stand worth? i know the price will never reflect the hours of work!what would you pay?(and yes we'd all like to buy one for a fiver!!!!!)

Realistically, if I were making these to sell with the stand and lettering, I'd look to be getting around the forty quid mark. If you can sell them at reenactors markets, maybe a bit more.

Eric

H

Heathenpeddler

I'd say £40 was the minimum you should take. Just look at Jelling Dragon - http://www.jelldragon.com/drinking_horns.htm - (Large Drinking Horn (21"-25") (approx. 1 1/4 pint) £42 ) so with the work you've put into that one I'd say more! But then, I already have 2 drinking horns and I know how nice they are

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would also consider selling the stand without the horn - plenty of us have a horn but the stand is a real novelty (to me at least). Would be a quicker turn around item - you could price the items separately or as a pair then.

Red

H

Heathenpeddler

Yeah, a good stand would be a treat :) and I think would sell well

Must try to knock up something for mine

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
thanks for the info folks, i think as horns are so individual that if i was to make a stand i would need the horn to ensure a good fit. if anyones intrested pm me with your ideas and we'll sort something out!

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Why not cut in half make plug with screw on bottom of cup so it screw one to bottom half a survival setup can be in the bottom half top half cup

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE