drink the sap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2005
london
I was just up in shropshire doing some coppicing and took down some 15y old sycamore trees. I got about 3/4 of a mug full of sap out of each tree (from the felled tree rather that the root, the sap was already up) We all had a swig and no ill effects. Does anyone have any printed reference to this as to chemical composition or palletability? Is this a reliable thing to do with punters, and kids?

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
It's perfectly safe, a very similar composition to maple syrup ( side from the dilution ) - and has been used to make syrup apparently. I've brewed with it before, and drunk it straight out of the tree
I must dig out my tapping kit.

Realgar

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Yup, that's more or less it. A hole is drilled into a large Birch about 1" slanting upwards.Place a tube the same diameter as the drill into the hole. Seal the tube and place a container underneath the tube.
don't forget to plug the hole afterwards to stop the tree "Bleeding." Don't take more than 1 gallon from each tree and don't take it when the tree is starting to leaf. The tree needs it most then.

Cheers,

Martin

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
shinobi said:
Yup, that's more or less it. A hole is drilled into a large Birch about 1" slanting upwards.Place a tube the same diameter as the drill into the hole. Seal the tube and place a container underneath the tube.
don't forget to plug the hole afterwards to stop the tree "Bleeding." Don't take more than 1 gallon from each tree and don't take it when the tree is starting to leaf. The tree needs it most then.

Cheers,

Martin

With permission I tried the slash method on a sycamore a while back - making a fairly deep long cut and pulling a strip of bark away. It doesn't give any more than a single tap.
the main skill these days in tapping seems to be making sure that none interferes with your kit, I always put a blob on the bottle top so I can at least tell if someones been *issing around with it - or indeed *issing in it.
Realgar

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I think you get them in most tent's nowadays but certainly in my triple hooped gortex bivvi I got a repair kit, in that kit was a few bits of the different material it was made of, a spare guyline and two 2" long aluminium 1/4" diametre hollow sleeves to slip over a broken pole and hold it back together...

So, if you use one of these by grinding one end down to form a point, a bit like sharpening bamboo you have a ready made tap....just use a lump of wood to knock it in with......

:biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE