Dried Whole Chilles at Aldi on Thursday the 2/4/09

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Just a heads up for anyone interested.

0.79p in a pepper mill sized container.

Got Juniper Berries, and Cinnamon Sticks as well.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We started growing our own about 5 years ago in the window sill in the kitchen. We probably get around 60 - 90 each year now. Once they've ripened we just cut off the main stalk and hang them upside down to dry out for a few weeks.

They're dead easy to grow if you've got a nice sunny spot somewhere.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Can you grow chillies from the seed in a shop bought fresh chilli? or do you get mutants?

That's how we started ours Fiona, just a packet of fresh chillies from Morrisons. We've taken seeds from our own after that though. We probably planted around 30 seeds and picked the 5 strongest shoots after they germinated, they then went into bigger pots on their own. We sometimes get 30 - 40 chillies from each plant and end up giving most of them away to friends.

Peppers are the same although they seem to do better in the heated greenhouse

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Can you grow chillies from the seed in a shop bought fresh chilli? or do you get mutants?

All of the websites seem to say no problems with doing this. I do not think they have had time to play with them yet. Still trying to discover them all.

I got three pepper plants but my three different chilles did not grow. Planting them again this weekend.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

A lot of the F1 plants are the 'mutants' as they're the end product of selective breeding. Usually what happens if you use seed from an F1 plant they're either sterile or what you get is an F2 which has more characteristics of one of the parents but is still pretty close to the original plant.

It's good fun cross breeding though :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE